Re: dailydesktopwallpaperplus 4.0.7-1: Please translate debconf PO for the package dailydesktopwallpaperplus

Patrice Coni <patrice.coni-dev@yandex.com> writes:

> Dear Richard Lewis
>
> Thank you for your work and informations.
>
> As for the copyright thing, I still have to think about it.
> As I have seen, there are various applications and websites
> on the internet that download the photos from Bing.
> As I have seen, each picture has its the copyright by his owner.
> This copyright is included in the description of the daily image.
> Every description (with copyright) about the image is stored in
> a database, which is managed by my application.
> I am currently in contact with Microsoft regarding the copyright.
> But I see no reason to refer to the copyright of the daily picture
> in the package description?

I imagine debian-legal will give you a better answer, but the reason is
to help users understand what the package allows and does not allow.

Just because someone can write software to download images does not mean
they are legally allowed to do so - as a debian user deciding whether i
want to use this package my first question when i read the description
was whether it was even legally allowed. And i also want to know whether
anything i download i can then reuse - if there is less freedom I would
want to know that upfront.

I think that Debian is a project by, and (to some extent) for, people
who cares deeply about doing the right thing with copyright licences.

As a user i appreciate that the project has thought about this so i
don't have to - so thank-you for considering it!