Re: KLog translation help needed

Jaime Robles wrote:
> I am writing to you because some time ago you really helped me reviewing my
> English file for translators of KLog.
>
> Would it be possible for you to check it again, please :-)

Sure!  I was hoping to include a diff here, but there are so many
possible changes where I really need to ask questions first that it
probably makes more sense to delay that stage for now.

> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../aboutdialog.cpp:28
> msgctxt "AboutDialog|"
> msgid "About KLog"
> msgstr ""

(I'll just [...skip...] parts that don't need any changes.)

[...]
> #: ../aboutdialog.cpp:38
> msgctxt "AboutDialog|"
> msgid ""
> "Please know that this is an BETA release and it may contain many "
> "bugs.<br>Backup your data before using this software!"
> msgstr ""

 * "know" doesn't work as an imperative; use "please be aware";
 * "an" should be "a" before a consonant sound;
 * "backup" is the noun; you need "back up".  So:

  "Please be aware that this is a BETA release and may contain many "
  "bugs.<br>Back up your data before using this software!"

> #: ../aboutdialog.cpp:40
> msgctxt "AboutDialog|"
> msgid ""
> "KLog has been fully rewritten from the 0.6.2 to be able to provide a "
> "cross-platform application that runs in the main operating systems (Linux, "
> "macOS & Windows) and provide new functionalities that KLog was not providing."
> msgstr ""

 * "From the 0.6.2" should probably be "since (version) 0.6.2".
 * "be able to" is redundant
 * "the main" OSes isn't great... maybe "all major" OSes?
 * three uses of "provide"
 * "functionality" is usually a non-count noun
 * if it's new functionality added since 0.6.2, it's obvious that KLog
   didn't provide that functionality in older versions!

I'd suggest:

  "Since 0.6.2, KLog has been fully rewritten to provide a cross-platform "
  "application that runs on all major operating systems (Linux, macOS and
  "Windows) and to support new functionality."

[...]
> #: ../aboutdialog.cpp:103
> msgctxt "AboutDialog|"
> msgid ""
> "KLog developers have included a feature that reports some user data to the "
> "KLog server with the sole purpose of identifying the number of installed "
> "versions, to focus development in one direction or another taking into "
> "account user's needs"
> msgstr ""

"The needs of users", so "users' needs".

[...]
> #: ../startwizard.cpp:945
> msgctxt "CTYPage|"
> msgid ""
> "KLog uses the cty.csv file from http://www.country-files.com/ to get DXCC "
> "information."
> msgstr ""

I see that's now also available via HTTPS - should it give that URL
instead?

> #: ../startwizard.cpp:947
> msgctxt "CTYPage|"
> msgid ""
> "You need to download the cty.csv file if you want KLog to show you the "
> "countries, locator, ... of the QSOs you do."
> msgstr ""

The idiom "X, Y, ..." isn't used in English (except perhaps among C
coders?); try "X, Y, etc."

[...]
> #: ../dxccstatuswidget.cpp:372
> msgctxt "DXCCStatusWidget|"
> msgid "Entity not worked in this band."
> msgstr ""

Something's wrong here, but I'm not sure what it's trying to say.  Is
it something like "(this) entity doesn't (ever) work in this band", or
"(this) entity in this band didn't work (=failed somehow)", or what?

[...]
> #: ../dataproxy_sqlite.cpp:74
> msgctxt "DataProxy_SQLite|"
> msgid "No query failed"
> msgstr ""

(Is this a good thing or a bad thing?)

[...]
> #: ../filemanager.cpp:3755
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid ""
> "You have cancelled the file import. The file will be removed and no data "
> "will be imported."
> msgstr ""

For consistency, stick with the en-US spelling "canceled".

> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4773
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "This QSO is not including the minimum data to consider a QSO as valid!."
> msgstr ""

Should probably be
        "This QSO does not include the minimum data for it be considered valid!"

[...]
> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4830
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "This log seems to lack of RST-TX information."
> msgstr ""

No need for "of" here; "lack" is transitive.

> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4830 ../filemanager.cpp:4852
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "Click on Yes to add a default 59 to all QSO with a similar problem."
> msgstr ""

Shouldn't that be "QSOs"?

> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4830 ../filemanager.cpp:4852
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "If you select NO, the QSO may not be imported."
> msgstr ""

Is that "maybe it will not" or "it cannot/will not be able to"?

> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4831
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "KLog: No RST TX found!"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../filemanager.cpp:4852
> msgctxt "FileManager|"
> msgid "This log seems to lack of RST-RX information."
> msgstr ""

As above, s/ of//

[...]
> #: ../startwizard.cpp:153
> msgctxt "IntroPage|"
> msgid ""
> "KLog is a free hamradio logging program that can run on Linux macOS and "
> "Windows."
> msgstr ""

Add a comma, or most en-US style-guides would say two commas:

  "KLog is a free hamradio logging program that can run on Linux, macOS, "
  "and Windows."

(That's the "Harvard comma" style, which would also help make things
unambiguous in the following sentence:

> #: ../startwizard.cpp:154
> msgctxt "IntroPage|"
> msgid "It is designed to provide general purpose, DX and contest logging."
> msgstr ""

Is that DX-and-contest-logging which is general purpose, or is it
three kinds of logging: general purpose, DX, and contest?

If the former:

        "It is designed to provide general purpose DX and contest logging."

If the latter, the Harvard-comma approach is to say:

        "It is designed to provide general purpose, DX, and contest logging."

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3546
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "Shows the DX-QSL that has been requested or QSLs has been sent with no "
> "answer."
> msgstr ""

Something has gone wrong here.  For a start, QSLs (plural) would mean
the verb should be "have been sent".  Should it be something like

  "Shows any DX-QSLs that have been requested or QSLs that have been sent "
  "with no answer."

Or perhaps something like

  "Shows DX-QSLs for which requests or QSLs have been sent with no answer."

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3548
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "&Find requested pending to receive"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3551
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Shows the DX-QSL that has been requested."
> msgstr ""

(The above two might need to be amended depending on what the previous
one was trying to say.)

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3554
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "LoTW tools..."
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3556
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Queue all QSL to be sent of this log"
> msgstr ""

I *think* this is trying to say:

        "Queue all QSLs from this log to be sent"

(That is, "please put them in a sending queue".)

There are other cases below with "Xs of this log" where I suspect it
should be "Xs from this log", but I'm skipping them for now.

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3559
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Mark all non sent QSOs in this log as queued to be uploaded."
> msgstr ""

Hmm, well, at least it needs a hyphen: "non-sent".

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3561
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Queue all QSL to be sent"
> msgstr ""

Plural "QSLs" again.

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3564
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Mark all non sent QSOs as queued to be uploaded."
> msgstr ""

Needs a hyphen, but otherwise intelligible.

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3666
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "All pending QSO of this log has been marked as queued for LoTW!"
> msgstr ""

If you're itemising all of them, they're plural, here and in lots of
subsequent texts.
        "All pending QSOs from this log have been marked as queued for LoTW!"

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:3675 ../mainwindow.cpp:3697
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "There was a problem to mark all pending QSO of this log as queued for LoTW!"
> msgstr ""

As above, plus s/problem to X/problem Xing/ (which also recurs below)

  "There was a problem marking all pending QSOs of this log as queued for LoTW!"

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:4742
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "It seems that there are no QSO in the database."
> msgstr ""

Itemisably plural: "no QSOs".

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:5110
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Number of QSOs worked on the selected year."
> msgstr ""

"On" a year should presumably be "in", here and repeatedly below.

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:5111
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Number of DXCC worked on the selected year."
> msgstr ""

Unless the answer is always one, "DXCCs"

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:5546
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "If you think that some QSO should have been exported, please look for them "
> "and ensure that the eQSL LoTW QSL sent box is marked as:"
> msgstr ""

Plurals take S.

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7435
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "KLog QSO received"
> msgstr ""

I have to ask: one QSO or several QSOs?

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7559
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "A new mode not supported by KLog has been received from an external software "
> "or radio:"
> msgstr ""

Software is a non-count noun, so you can't say "a software".
Probably you just want to say "an external program".

It's unclear what this is talking about - how do you "receive a mode"?

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7559
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "If the received mode is correct, please contact KLog development team and "
> "request support for that mode"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7559
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "Do you want to keep receiving this alerts? (disabling this alerts will "
> "prevent that non-valid modes are detected)"
> msgstr ""

Plural "these alerts" each time; "prevent non-valid modes being
detected".

[...]
> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7736
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid "Recomendation:"
> msgstr ""

Spelling: "Recommendation:"

> #: ../mainwindow.cpp:7736
> msgctxt "MainWindow|"
> msgid ""
> "Export, periodically, your data to ADIF to prevent a potential data loss."
> msgstr ""

Adverb placement: that has to be
  "Periodically export your data to ADIF to prevent a potential data loss."

[...]
> #: ../mainwindowinputqsl.cpp:78
> msgctxt "MainWindowInputQSL|"
> msgid "Status of the QSL sending."
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../mainwindowinputqsl.cpp:79
> msgctxt "MainWindowInputQSL|"
> msgid "Status of the QSL reception."
> msgstr ""

(Is there some particular reason why these are pairing the word
"reception" with "sending" rather than its usual partner
"transmission"?)

[...]
> #: ../mainwindowsattab.cpp:412
> msgctxt "MainWindowSatTab|"
> msgid ""
> "Please know that the satellite name will not be saved if it is not in the "
> "list so that information may be lost!"
> msgstr ""

"Please know" is never right, and an added comma would make this
easier to follow.
  "Please be aware that the satellite name will not be saved if it is not in the "
  "list, so that information may be lost!"

[...]
> #: ../searchwidget.cpp:846
> msgctxt "SearchWidget|"
> msgid "Via Direct && mark DX QSL as requested"
> msgstr ""

I'm assuming that this uses "&&" to say that the shortcut key is "&".

> #: ../searchwidget.cpp:847
> msgctxt "SearchWidget|"
> msgid "Send this QSL via direct & mark DX QSL as requested"
> msgstr ""

Is this "&" just an ampersand?  If so I would recommend replacing it
generally with "and".

> #: ../searchwidget.cpp:850
> msgctxt "SearchWidget|"
> msgid "Via Bureau && mark DX QSL as requested"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../searchwidget.cpp:851
> msgctxt "SearchWidget|"
> msgid "Send this QSL via bureau & mark DX QSL as requested"
> msgstr ""

Ditto, and likewise in other cases below.

[...]
> #: ../setuppagelogs.cpp:221
> msgctxt "SetupPageLogs|"
> msgid "All the QSOs from this log will be also deleted..."
> msgstr ""

Adverb placement: "will also be".

[...]
> #: ../setuppagemisc.cpp:117
> msgctxt "SetupPageMisc|"
> msgid "The search box will show also the callsign on the air to do the QSO."
> msgstr ""

Ditto: "will also show".

> #: ../setuppagemisc.cpp:118
> msgctxt "SetupPageMisc|"
> msgid ""
> "All the data from the My Data tab will be used or data from the previous QSO "
> "will be maintained."
> msgstr ""

I don't understand the logic of this.

[...]
> #: ../setuppagesats.cpp:73
> msgctxt "SetupPageSats|"
> msgid ""
> "Import a satellites file. It will replace the satellites you have now "
> "configured."
> msgstr ""

"You have now configured" sounds as if it's talking about a recent
action.  I think you mean

  "Import a satellites file. It will replace the satellites you currently "
  "have configured."

[...]
> #: ../setuppagesats.cpp:212
> msgctxt "SetupPageSats|"
> msgid "This satellite will not be longer available to be selected ..."
> msgstr ""

        "This satellite will no longer be available to be selected..."

[...]
> #: ../setuppagesatsnew.cpp:385
> msgctxt "SetupPageSatsNew|"
> msgid ""
> "Some of the data you have entered is not correct, the satellite can't be "
> "added."
> msgstr ""

Slightly pedantically, that's a run-on sentence and needs heavier
punctuation - a s/,/;/ would do.

[...]
> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:10
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid "Start UDP Server"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:33
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid "Log automatically QSOs from WSJT-X"
> msgstr ""

Adverb placement:
        "Automatically log QSOs from WSJT-X"

> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:34
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid "Allow WSJT-X to send logged QSO to KLog"
> msgstr ""

Should that be "QSOs"?  If so, I may be missing undetectable cases
elsewhere.

> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:35
> #, qt-format
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid ""
> "QSO logged in WSJT-X will be sent to KLog and KLog will ask before logging "
> "into KLog unless \"%1\" is selected"
> msgstr ""

Plural "QSOs", unclear scope of "unless", and... what is all this
about KLog logging into KLog?

> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:38
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid ""
> "KLog will log automatically any QSO coming from WSJT-X without any manual "
> "confirmation."
> msgstr ""

Adverb placement: "will automatically log".

> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:41
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid "Receive and Update QSO data to KLog"
> msgstr ""

What does this mean?  Should it be
        "Receive QSO data and update to KLog"

[...]
> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:58
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid ""
> "Make sure it is the same port where the other programs are sending the data "
> "to. Default port is 2237."
> msgstr ""

"Where [...] to" is a bit odd.  Maybe s/where/that/?

[...]
> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:78
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid "QSO notification timeout (milisecs)"
> msgstr ""

s/mili/milli/ (for consistency, "msecs"; for the SI standard, "ms").

> #: ../setuppageudp.cpp:79
> msgctxt "SetupPageUDP|"
> msgid ""
> "Milliseconds that the notification of QSO received from WSJTX will be shown."
> msgstr ""

There are lots of unmarked plural QSOs and DXCCs around here.

[...]
> #: ../charts/statsqsosperhourbarchartwidget.cpp:60
> msgctxt "StatsQSOsPerHourBarChartWidget|"
> msgid "QSOs at hour"
> msgstr ""

Well, it's marking them as plural, but what does "at hour" mean?

[...]
> #: ../charts/statsqsospermonthbarchartwidget.cpp:60
> msgctxt "StatsQSOsPerMonthBarChartWidget|"
> msgid "QSOs at Month"
> msgstr ""

As above.

[...]
> #: ../elogclublog.cpp:423
> msgctxt "eLogClubLog|"
> msgid "Test mode - parameters ok, no action taken"
> msgstr ""

There are some inconsistent uses of "OK", "Ok" and "ok".  I recommend
standardising on "okay" as per "https://xkcd.com/2250";!