Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

On 9/10/19 5:19 PM, Holger Wansing wrote:
That seems like a reasonable idea but I strongly prefer "installation device".
I have not looked up the reason, but "installer device" sounds very jarring
to me as an English English first-language speaker.

I wonder if this works for cases, where the installation medium is a CD or DVD?

Do people know what is meant, when you talk about the CD as an "installation
device"?
Is a CD (the optical disc, not the device file under Linux!) known as "a device"?

I am not a native English speaker, but German.
At least in German I think that would not work.

This proposal is to find a coverterm for all installation mediums: CDs, DVDs,
floppys, USB sticks, ISO files within virtual machines ...
This approach should have higher priority than grammatical refinements IMHO.

Why not just use "installation disk"? Or use "installation source".

I wouldn't really overthink this. As long as the term is understandable, it should
be fine. I don't think it really matters if there are cases where it doesn't
match 100% with the actual media type.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz