Re: please indicate where messages in debconf dialogue are worth a bug report

Hello Justin,

Justin Rye schrieb am  4. August 2018 um 13:53

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:14001
> > msgid "System mail name:"
> >
> > s/System mail name:/The system's mail name

> If this is a synopsis then we don't need the definite article.  I
> would almost prefer just saying "Mail name:" (after all, what could it
> assign one to, if not the system you're installing postfix on?), but
> there's no need to go overboard - the word helps to keep it obvious
> that we aren't talking about a username or something.

The string appears above an input field, the previous page explained
"system mail name". I withdraw my suggestion adding an article and a
genitiv form.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:14001
> > msgid ""
> > "The \"mail name\" is the domain name used to \"qualify\" _ALL_ mail "
> > "addresses without a domain name. This includes mail to and from <root>: "
> > "please do not make your machine send out mail from root@example.org unless "
> > "root@example.org has told you to."
> >
> > Does debconf really use another font for words between underscores?
>
> If it did then I expect we'd have problems with LONG_VARIABLE_NAMES.
>
> > Is it
> > necessaray to stress the word "ALL" by using capital letters?
>
> It certainly doesn't need both, and I would prefer "ALL" rather than "_all_".
>

> > Usage of 'larger than' and 'smaller than' may confuse. consider usage
> > of single quotation marks.
>
> Oh, you mean s/<root>/'root'/ ?  No, I'm not keen on singlequotes to
> mark things as "verbatim", especially when the same message already
> uses doublequotes - indeed, given that the next line has unquoted
> root@example.org I would suggest s/<root>/root/.

You are right: root, root@example.org are to be treated in the same
way, dropping the largerthan-sign and smallerthan-sign suffices.

> > Do not make fun of debconf users. The joke seems quite trivial to me:

> I don't think it is a joke - I think we have bug reporters who
> genuinely insist on having it spelled out in the instructions that you
> mustn't leave the mailname set to the default.

I assume that the respective page initially appears with an empty
input field. If root@example.org really was pre-defined
somewhere/somehow as you assume, demanding for erasure or replacement
seems reasonable.

> > /Please choose a character used as recipient delimiter that will indicate a local address extensions
>
> No; for a start "recipient delimiter"  sounds as if it's talking about
> the comma in "To: foo, bar".  Maybe:
>
>     Please choose a delimiter character for defining local address extensions.
>
> or
>
>     Please choose a character to define local address extensions when
> used as a delimiter.

> Or maybe even "when used as a delimiter in local-parts", although that
> may be too technical.

For me, the request is confusing as "Defining a local address
extension" is to define the string to be used to yield a valid local
address and not the selection of a certain character that indicates
that a given addresse needs to be processed to yield a valid local
address.

> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:21001
> > msgid ""
> > "If synchronous updates are forced, then mail is processed more slowly. If "
> > "not forced, then there is a remote chance of losing some mail if the system "
> > "crashes at an inopportune time, and you are not using a journaled filesystem "
> > "(such as ext3)."
> >
> > s/there is a remote chance/ there is a slight chance/
>
> I think it's entitled to the slightly stronger emphasis of "remote",
> if only because we've gone over to ext4 by default since it was
> written.  I hope people aren't habitually running postfix under
> eatmydata...

According to what you wrote, the adjective "remote" is more versatile
as I expected.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:23001
> > msgid ""
> > "Please specify the limit that Postfix should place on mailbox files to "
> > "prevent runaway software errors. A value of zero (0) means no limit. The "
> > "upstream default is 51200000."
> >
> > Alternative:
> >
> > Please specify the limit that Postfix should place on mailbox files
> > (mbox-formatted files) to prevent data losses caused by software
> > errors. A value of zero (0) means no limit. The authors of postfix set
> > 51200000 as default.
>
> Does it in fact only mean mbox-format mailboxes?  If so, less repetitively:
>
>    Please specify the size limit that Postfix should place on mailbox
> files in mbox format
>
> Do we know that it's about preventing loss of data rather than
> avoiding filling the filesystem?  If so, it's "data-loss", not "data
> losses".
>
> Why change the "upstream default" part?  For a start, we should
> capitalise Postfix consistently.

Meanwhile,I know what "upstream" means in the context of Debian
software packages. Nevertheless I would recommend to replace the word
by something tangible.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:24001
> > msgid "Mail is not delivered to external delivery agents as root."
> >
> > "as root" is highly confusing because one might think that the postfix
> > daemon is run by root. Apparently, the phrase refers to mails that
> > root shall recieve. Therefore

> > /Mail is not delivered to external delivery agents as root.
> > /Mails for 'root' will not be passed to external delivery agents.
>
> It doesn't need verbatimquotes, and mail is usually a mass-noun, but I
> like the idea - it really is much clearer as something like
>
>    Mail for root is not passed to external delivery agents.

Thanks for your corrections, explanations and remarks.

Markus