Re: "clean" to be replaced with "flawless" or "faultless" ?

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> what do you think of replacing the adjective "clean" (appears for
> example as a result of file system checks by fsck) by "flawless" or
> "faultless"?

As I understand it, when fsck says something is "clean" it just means
that the filesystem doesn't have the "dirty bit" set.  That used to be
a FS metadata thing that was left set to "dirty" on mounted disks and
wiped during a routine shutdown, though these days ext4fs might use
some journal feature instead/as well.

If fsck successfully fixes a filesystem after a crash, the last thing
it'll do is report the fact that it has marked it as "clean".  So it
doesn't mean "flawless" so much as "finished" - it'll still report the
same thing even if the run was a "fsck -n" and didn't change anything!

> I really dislike using "sauber" in German translations and would
> prefer the neutral word "intakt" which means "without damage"
>
> Part of my attitude emerges from the fact that the related nouns
> "clean-up" and "Säuberung" are euphemistic for political persecution.

Perhaps some equivalent of "unmarked" would work?