Re: Draft announcement for 8.3

Adam Wilson wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> There are a couple of en-GBisms ("initialise", "honoured") in the
>> otherwise consistently en-US text, but only in the quoted bugfix
>> reasons, and it's not clear whether those need to be homogenised.
>> Mind you, the entry for Swift has both "unauthorized" and
>> "standardise"...
>
> The Oxford English Dictionary, despite insisting on British spellings
> for words such as colour and honour, recommends -ize endings rather
> than the more commonly used (in the UK) -ise endings.
>
> Both are British English, it's just that -ise is more commonly used by
> the populace, myself included.

Indeed, when I was a kid The Times used -ize, and my English teachers
were happy with either style.  But the prevailing standard has drifted
over the past few decades, to the point where even Oxford uses -ise in
its press releases.

Besides, there has never been a standard that recommends using
"unauthorized" alongside "standardise".  And if we were aiming for
en-GB rather than en-US then there are a couple of places where I'd
want to change simple past to present perfect.