Re: proofreading the installation-guide

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 09:06:03PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Holger Wansing wrote:
> > Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> An interesting idea, but one that seems unlikely to work, especially
> >> given the way it's used in the text.  For instance, there's a page
> >> "welcome/what-is-debian-linux.xml", which is full of sentences like
> >> "&debian; was the first Linux distribution to include a package
> >> management system".
> >
> > It was mostly me changing Debian into &debian; that days in 2010.
> > If I remember correctly, it was initiated by a post of Frans Pop,
> > who proposed that change. And the rationale was in fact, to get a
> > manual, that can easily be turned from a "Debian installer manual" into
> > a "Ubuntu installer manual", for example.
>
> Whoever it is that's reworking the manual for the derivative is still
> going to need to go through the whole text changing the content.  The
> &debian; entity seems liable to cost us more effort than it saves them
> (a single extra search-and-replace operation).

If that was the case, it would be a single search-and-replace operation
for you, too.

Just catch the ones you see while proofreading, leave the rest.
The Debian derivative's people will catch the ones you miss, and you
can someday, *when there's time to do it*, diff your source with
theirs to find the rest.

Of course, this is only for derivatives that use the same installer.