Re: [RFR] templates://cobbler/{cobbler.templates}

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I have re-uploaded a new version of cobbler, with 2 different entries
> for cobbler/server and cobbler/next_server, as this was indeed very weird.

Ah, okay, I've fetched the version at
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack/cobbler.git/tree/debian/cobbler.templates

Opening a new bug might mess up Christian's workflow, so for now
here's an inline review just on the list.

> Template: cobbler/password
> Type: password
>  It is highly recommended that you set a password for the
>  administrative "cobbler" user.
>  .
>  You can also run password reconfiguration later by executing
>  'dpkg-reconfigure -plow cobbler'.
>  .
>  Note that you can easily add users to cobbler later with:
>   sudo htdigest /etc/cobbler/users.digest "Cobbler" USERNAME

As I mentioned, there's no point specifying sudo here if we're going
to assume root privileges for dpkg-reconfigure.  I had:

   It can be reconfigured later using "dpkg-reconfigure -plow cobbler", and
   users can be added to cobbler with
   .
    htdigest /etc/cobbler/users.digest Cobbler USERNAME

> Template: cobbler/server
> Type: string
> Default: localhost
>  This is the address of the cobbler server, as it is used
>  by systems during the install process, it must be the address
>  or hostname of the system as those systems can see the server.

 * If "the Cobbler server" is *this* machine where I'm doing the
   install of cobbler, why doesn't it already know its hostname?
 * "The install process" is a potentially confusing thing to talk
   about during an install process.
 * Run-on sentence, and systems overload!
 * Which is preferred - a hostname or an IP address?  The default of
   "localhost" suggests a hostname, so why does it mostly ask for an
   address?

>  .
>  The "next_server" field must be set to something other than
>  127.0.0.1, and should match the IP address of the boot server
>  on the PXE network.

Do you mean the value in /etc/cobbler/settings?  And wait, isn't this
backwards?  You've got the template "cobbler/server" talking about
"next_server" and the template "cobbler/next_server" talking about
"server"!

>  .
>  Note that this value will try to be automatically detected,
>  however they can be manually edited in "/etc/cobbler/settings".

More slightly wobbly English, but the main problem is that I still
don't really understand this.  Is it saying that if you accept the
default value in debconf and don't edit the settings file then cobbler
will just use something like the output of hostname?  If that works, I
don't quite understand why it even needs a debconf question.

> Template: cobbler/next_server
> Type: string
> Default: 127.0.0.1

 * You don't get to give orders in the Description.
 * "Boot" isn't entitled to a capital B (except in German).
 * Since in this separated-out version you're still talking
   about the "boot and PXE server" I'm going with the theory
   that the phrase refers to a single machine, but I still
   don't understand it.  Are there PXE servers that *aren't*
   boot servers?
 * Again, is the server in question *this* machine?

>  For kickstart and PXE features to work properly, it is
>  important to set the correct IP addresses in the fields
>  "server" and "next_server" in  "/etc/cobbler/settings".

This sounds as if it's saying that I need to edit that file regardless
of what answers I give to debconf.  But whatever it's trying to say,
why is it only saying it in the second template?

>  .
>  The "server" field must be set to something other than localhost, or
>  Kickstart features will not work. This should be a resolvable hostname
>  or IP address for the boot server as reachable by all machines that
>  will use it.
>  .
>  Note that this value will try to be automatically detected,
>  however they can be manually edited in "/etc/cobbler/settings".

I'm finding this really confusing, and your scrambled templates
aren't making it any easier to work things out, but here's
another try:

  Template: cobbler/password
  Type: password
   It is highly recommended that you set a password for the administrative
   "cobbler" user.
   .
   It can be reconfigured later using "dpkg-reconfigure -plow cobbler", and
   users can be added to cobbler with
   .
    htdigest /etc/cobbler/users.digest Cobbler USERNAME

  Template: cobbler/server
  Type: string
  Default: localhost
   Please specify the hostname or IP address that clients will use for
   this server during installs.
   .
   This address will be written into "/etc/cobbler/settings" as the
   value of the "server" field. For Kickstart features to work properly,
   it must be set to something other than localhost.

  Template: cobbler/next_server
  Type: string
  Default: 127.0.0.1
   Please specify the local IP address of the boot server on the PXE
   network.
   .
   This address will be written into "/etc/cobbler/settings" as the
   value of the "next_server" field. For PXE features to work properly,
   it must be set to something other than 127.0.0.1.