Re: New debconf template for apt-cacher-ng

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> I intend to add a new debconf dialog in the apt-cacher-ng package. Since
> English is a foreign language for me I'd appreciate if some people can
> review it. Thanks in advance.
>
> Diff is appended below, full version attached.

It would be easier if we were working from the raw
apt-cacher-ng.templates file rather than the generated .pot... for a
start, I can't reconstruct the corresponding template file (or
therefore provide a patch for it) without the name of this template
entry.

[...]
> #. Type: boolean
> #. Description
> #: ../apt-cacher-ng.templates:7001
> msgid "Allow HTTP tunnels through Apt-Cacher NG?"
> msgstr ""
>
> #. Type: boolean
> #. Description
> #: ../apt-cacher-ng.templates:7001
> msgid ""
> "Apt-Cacher NG supports creation of HTTP tunnels that allow the local users "
> "to access remote servers without further control of data flow. This method "
> "is usually used for direct connections with the https protocol."
> msgstr ""

Micro-issues: I'd reshuffle articles and avoid "usually used".

More importantly, "remote servers without further control of data
flow" is a bit confusing if I don't realise it means the *users* don't
need special network-reconfiguring privileges!  And while this makes
it clear that unprivileged users can *access* the tunnels, it's left
unclear whether special privileges are required to *create* them.

It's being taken for granted here that users don't already have free
access to the Internet, leaving out any mention of the problem that
HTTP tunneling is a solution to.

Is "this method" HTTP tunneling in general, or is it talking about
AC-NG in particular?

Why does it claim to provide direct connections when it's a proxy?

And does AC-NG support tunneling of non-HTTPS traffic, such as random
SSH connections that have nothing to do with package downloads?

> #. Type: boolean
> #. Description
> #: ../apt-cacher-ng.templates:7001
> msgid ""
> "This feature is usually disabled for security reasons, enable it only for "
> "trusted LAN environments."
> msgstr ""

Another nitpick: that's a "comma splice", but if you make it a
semicolon it's legal.

So in the .templates file that would be

Template: apt-cacher-ng/???
Type: boolean
 .
 This feature is usually disabled for security reasons, enable it only for
 trusted LAN environments.

Revised version:

Template: apt-cacher-ng/???
Type: boolean
 Apt-Cacher NG can be configured to allow users to create HTTP tunnels,
 which can be used to access remote servers that might otherwise be
 blocked by (for instance) a firewall filtering HTTPS connections.
 .