Re: Please review/translate Asia security mirror announcement

Hi *,
On 01/28/2015 08:30 PM, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Paul Wise wrote:
>> We would like to send out the announcement of the new security mirror
>> for Asia soon (probably on Monday), please review and translate it:
>>
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/announcements/en/drafts/asia-security-mirror.wml?view=co
> [...]
>> <define-tag pagetitle>New Debian security mirror for Asia</define-tag>
>>
>> <define-tag release_date>YYYY-MM-DD</define-tag>
> (Does this get filled in at the last moment?)
Yes.
>> #use wml::debian::news
>>
>> ## Translators should uncomment the following line and add their name
>> ## Leaving translation at 1.1 is okay; that's the first version which will
>> ## be added to Debian's webwml repository
>> ##
>> # #use wml::debian::translation-check translation="1.1" maintainer=""

>> behind "security.debian.org" has recently been placed in Japan, with
>> the help of SAKURA Internet, Inc.</p>
> Why "*the* new host"?  Have we had this host working as a security
> mirror for a while before we finally managed to move it to Japan?  Or
> has a machine that was already in Japan been set up as a new security
> mirror?  The latter would be something more like

>   behind "security.debian.org" has recently been set up in Japan, with
>   the help of SAKURA Internet, Inc.</p>
>
> (Should the quotes around security.debian.org be <q> tags or <tt> tags
> or what?  And how about http://ishikari.sakura.ad.jp/index_eng.html?)

IIRC there was a mirror in that region but was changed. Without some
historical data we can at this time only guess without some input from a
member of the mirrors team. In the meantime I've changed the order of
wording in the paragraph to sidestep the exact why and focus more on the
what.
>> Administration (DSA) team to improve Debian's core service: providing
>> security mirror archive for Asia/Pacific region and it also would led
>> decentralized and stable security mirror access for whole world.</p>
> Missing articles followed by more serious problems.  It "would led"?
> Is that a wrong form of the slightly wrong verb "lead", or a typo for
> the also slightly wrong verb "lend", or what?  My guess:

>   Administration (DSA) team to improve Debian's core services by providing
>   a security mirror archive for the Asia/Pacific region, and another
>   step towards decentralized and stable security mirror access for the
>   whole world.</p>
I committed your suggestion with a few slight wording changes for
clarification. The mirror is for Asia not Asia/Pacific, and removed
whole world to world since that is part of the decentralized mirror scheme.
>> should speed up downloads for our users in that geographical area
>> drastically. This is a welcome improvement in the worldwide coverage
>> of dedicated official security.debian.org mirrors, administrated by
>> the Debian project</q> said Martin Zobel-Helas, a member of the Debian
>> System Administrator team.
> All good except that you just defined DSA as standing for "Debian
> SystemS AdministraTION"; so just use the abbreviation -
>
>   the Debian project</q> said Martin Zobel-Helas, a member of the DSA team.
>
> or maybe even (but not in my patch):
>
>   the Debian project</q> said DSA team member Martin Zobel-Helas.

>> hosts many servers running the Debian system.  SAKURA is very honored to
>> have an opportunity to support Debian by the security mirror system and
>> wishes to continue supporting the Debian community.</q>
>> says Kunihiro Tanaka, Founder, CEO and President of SAKURA Internet.
> Here it's a good quote but the convention is to turn the final period
> into a comma when the framing sentence isn't finished yet:
>
>   wishes to continue supporting the Debian community,</q>
>   said Kunihiro Tanaka, Founder, CEO, and President of SAKURA Internet.
>
> (Also using the same tense for both quotes, and adding a "Harvard
> comma" to match the list in the next paragraph.)
Committed, some slight changes.
>> <h2>About SAKURA Internet</h2>

>> Internet Data Center service provider of Japan. The company engages in
>> the provision of Internet services since 1996 and has many customers
>> and users through offering server rental services, hosting, VPS, and
>> data center services including Cloud Computing.</p>
> I don't want to mess around with this too much, but you can't say "X
> happens (present tense) since Y" - it needs to be something like "has
> been engaging".  And saying that it has customers through something
> doesn't quite work either.  Oh, I know:

>   Internet Data Center service provider of Japan. The company has been
>   engaging in the provision of Internet services since 1996 and has
>   gained many customers and users through offering server rental
>   services, hosting, VPS, and data center services including Cloud
>   Computing.</p>

>>  http://ishikari.sakura.ad.jp/index_eng.html</p>
> This contains the only Unicode apostrophe in the text (compare
> "Debian's" in the second paragraph).  I'll standardise on ASCII.
>
>> <h2>About Debian</h2>

>> The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly
>> free community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of
>> the largest and most influential open source projects.  Thousands of
>> volunteers from all over the world work together to create and
>> maintain Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and
>> supporting a huge range of computer types, Debian calls itself the
>> <q>universal operating system</q>.
> Somebody's proofread these end bits already.
Changes:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/announcements/en/drafts/asia-security-mirror.wml?view=co

Best regards,

Donald Norwood