Re: English (Ireland)

(Sorry about the slight delay; Gmail thinks you're spam.)

Milton wrote:
> Guys, I set my locale to Ireland (en_IE UTF-8) but the spelling is
> still in AmE. Maybe someone knows how to solve the problem? It's not
> very important though it's uncomfortable a little bit.
>
> Sorry if someone posted this before, I didn't find such stuff in the
> Internet.

You might get more answers from debian-user@lists.debian.org - these
debian-l10n-* mailinglists are mostly here to coordinate localisation
work (in the case of debian-l10n-english, copy-editing new English
versions before they're translated into other languages).

Setting your locale to en_IE should reliably get rid of crazy US paper
sizes and date formats and so on, but it won't automatically convert
American spellings in user interfaces or documentation.  Most free
software developers have enough on their plates dealing with
localisation for French and German, so they rarely bother to provide
separate man pages for different English dialects!  You can install
non-American spelling dictionaries and libreoffice language packs and
so on - though mostly you'll have to settle for British or Australian
English.  Myspell, for instance, provides myspell-en-au, -en-gb,
-en-us, and -en-za variants.

If you told debian-installer you were using it_IT, I believe it would
automatically pull in "task-italian", which depends on appropriate
manpages and spellchecking dictionaries and so on; if you told it you
were using ga_IE, it would pull in Irish-language resources via
"task-irish".  But there are no equivalent separate tasks for en_US
and en_GB, let alone any other language varieties: there's just
"task-english" which recommends both iamerican and ibritish.