Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> schrieb am 29. Oct 2014 um 16:52

> markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> >> later that without an explicit argument or arguments it falls back on
> >> STDIN (though in fact, wait, it falls back on $WWW_HOME, and *then*
> >> STDIN).
> >
> > section SYNOPSIS is now cut back zu options and target
> >
> > I set WWW_HOME as a local variable in xterm. w3m ignores it.

> I was confusing the order there - it *is* arguments then STDIN then
> $WWW_HOME then error - but the variable should work.
>
> Maybe you didn't export it?   "WWW_HOME=foo.org; w3m" wouldn't work,
> since it would only be visible to the shell, not programs started from
> the shell.  What you need is "export WWW_HOME=foo.org; w3m" (or
> similar).

Yes, Having exported WWW_HOME, w3m behaved as You explained.

> >> It's optional for four-digit numbers but normal for five-digit ones.
> >> Some standards allow "10 000" for international compatibility - that's
> >> supposed to be a thin non-breaking space, but you could get away with
> >> a plain space.
> >
> > We should use a plain space.
> >
> > Correction: The German equivalent is not obligatory! Dots are
> > sometimes used, but more often, numbers appear in groups of three.
>
> Japanese, by the way, traditionally groups noughts in fours.

Facing such questions, I appreciate the usual treatment of numbers in
science where Giga, Kilo, micro, nano etc serve as killers for
noughts.

I am about to send version _3 to the language team list. A diff won't
be very informative. Hope to get a good step ahead with it.

The subheadings in the section OPTIONS are suggestions, ideas,
attempts. I think, the chosen classification makes sense.

Best regards
Markus

W3M(1)                                                                  W3M(1)

NNAAMMEE
       W3M - a text based web browser and pager

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
       ww33mm [OPTIONS|...  [ _f_i_l_e | _U_R_L ]...

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
       _W_3_M  has  been  developed  as a text based web client. It displays HTML
       documents stored local or on remote systems. It renders HTML tables and
       frames.  _W_3_M  ignores JavaScript and Cascading Style Sheets. It accepts
       plain text from files or from standard input, serving as a  "pager"  in
       much the same manner as "more" or "less".

       W3M  organizes  content  in  buffers and tabs, allowing easy navigation
       between. Having the extra package with  w3m-img  installed,  W3M  shows
       graphics  within a page or in a new buffer. Whenever W3M's capabilities
       to render HTML do no meet your needs, the target URL can be handed over
       to a graphic browser by a single command.

       For help with runtime options, press _"_H_" while running WW33MM.

AARRGGUUMMEENNTTSS
       If given one argument or more arguments, W3M works like a browser. Hav-
       ing recieved a URL, the respective content is worked out  according  to
       the  MIME type. With relative or absolute paths as argument, W3M relies
       on filenames to display the content in an adequate manner.

       With no argument, W3M expects data from STDIN. Input given by the  user
       may be necessary the control how these data processed further.

       With  no  explicite targets and no stream of data from STDIN, W3M exits
       with usage information.

OOPPTTIIOONNSS
       Options are introduced with a dash and may take an argument

   OOppttiioonnss ttoo sseelleecctt pprreeddeeffiinneedd ccoonnffiigguurraattiioonnss aanndd rreessoouurrcceess
       --ccoonnffiigg _f_i_l_e
              use file instead of the default configuration file ~/.w3m/config

       --bbooookkmmaarrkk _f_i_l_e
              specifies another bookmark file to be used

       --rreeqqlloogg
              log headers of HTTP communication in file ~/.w3m/request.log

       --ddeebbuugg DO NOT USE

       --oo _o_p_t_i_o_n_=_v_a_l_u_e
              modify one configuration item with an explicitely given value

   TTuunniinngg WW33MM // OOppttiioonnss ttoo ttuunnee PPrrooggrraamm--UUsseerr--IInntteerraaccttiioonn //  MMaann--MMaacchhiinnee--IInntteerr--
       ffaaccee
       --ttiittllee use the buffer name as terminal title string.

       --ttiittllee==TTEERRMM
              use  the  buffer name as terminal title string. TERM style title
              configuration is used
              Implementation not verified

       --nnoo--mmoouussee
              do not use mouse

       --nnuumm   display each line's number

       --MM     monochrome display

       --WW     toggle wrapping in searches

       --XX     do not initialize/deinitilize the terminal
              Implementation not verified

       --ppppcc _N width of N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to  32.0,  default
              8.0.  Larger values will make tables narrower.
              Implementation not verified

       --ppppll _N height of N pixels per line. Range of 4.0 to 64.0.
              Implementation not verified

   CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa bbrroowwsseerr--lliikkee uussaaggee
       --FF     render frames

       --NN     distribute  the contents passed with multiple command line argu-
              ments to tabs. By default, a stack of buffers is used.

       --ccooookkiiee, --nnoo--ccooookkiiee
              accept and use cookies, neither accept nor use cookies

       --ggrraapphh, --nnoo--ggrraapphh
              use or do not use graphic characters for borders of  frames  and
              tables

       --nnoo--pprrooxxyy
              do not use proxy

       --44     IPv4 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=4)

       --66     IPv6 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=6)

       --mm     Internet message mode
              Implementation not verified

   CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa ppaaggeerr--lliikkee uussaaggee
       --rr     ignore  underline  or  bolding  markup  constructions  that  use
              backspace (e.g. in nroff)

       --ss     squeeze multiple blank lines into one

       --tt _N   set tab width to N columns. No effect on STDOUT

   OOppttiioonnss ttoo ccoonnttrrooll ttrreeaattmmeenntt ooff ddaattaa iinnppuutt aanndd oouuttppuutt
       --II _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
              user defined character encoding of input data

       --OO _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
              user defined character encoding of output data

       --TT _t_y_p_e
              explicit characterization of input data by MIME type

   CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa ssppeecciiaall ssttaarrttuupp
       --vv     allow start with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL

       --BB     start with default bookmark file ~/.w3m/bookmark.html

       --sshhooww--ooppttiioonn
              show all available config options

       --hheellpp  show a summary of compiled-in and runtime options

       --vveerrssiioonn
              show the version of WW33MM ()

   OOppttiioonnss ffoorr iinnssttaanntt ddaattaa rreeqquueessttss
       --dduummpp  dump rendered page into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__ssoouurrccee
              dump the page's source code into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__hheeaadd
              dump response of a HEAD request for a URL into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__bbootthh
              dump HEAD, and source code for a URL into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__eexxttrraa
              dump HEAD, source code, and extra information  for  a  URL  into
              STDOUT ()

   MMiisscceelllleenneeoouuss ccoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss
       ++_N     go  to  line  N;  only effective for N larger than the number of
              lines in the terminal

       --ccoollss _N
              combined with -dump, HTML input is rendered to lines of N  char-
              acters. Affects only STDOUT

       --ll _N   number  of  lines preserved internally when recieving plain text
              from STDIN (default 10 000)

       --ppoosstt _f_i_l_e
              use POST method with file content
              Implementation not verified

       --hheeaaddeerr _s_t_r_i_n_g
              APPEND string to the HTTP(S)  request.  Expected  to  match  the
              header syntax  Variable: Value

EEXXAAMMPPLLEESS
       Pager-like usage of WW33MM | WW33MM as a text pager
              Combine snippets of html code and preview the page
              $ cat header.html footer.html | w3m -T text/html fP

       Browser-like usage of WW33MM | WW33MM as an HTML renderer
              Display web content in monochromous terminals
              $ w3m -M http://w3m.sourceforge.net
              Display embedded graphics
              w3m -o auto_image=TRUE http://w3m.sourceforge.net

       Filter-like usage of WW33MM

       Convert  an  HTML  file  to  a plain text file with a defined length of
       lines
       $ w3m -dump -cols 40 foo.html >foo.txt

       Convert an HTML to plain text and append the contained links
        w3m  -dump  -o  display_link_number=1   http://w3m.sourceforge.net   >
       index.txt

       Conversion of file format and character encoding
       $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html -I EUC-JP -O UTF-8 >foo.txt

       Special startups
              Start with no input, suitable as predefined command to configure
              in window manager menus w3m -v
              Start with a preferred set of bookmark for special purposes
              w3m -B -bookmark links-1.html

FFIILLEESS
       ~/.w3m/config
              user defined configuration file, overrides $/etc/w3m/config

       ~/.w3m/keymap
              user defined key bindings; overrides default key bindings

       ~/.w3m/menu
              user defined menu, overrides default menu

       ~/.w3m/mouse
              user defined mouse settings

       ~/.w3m/cookie
              cookie jar; written on exit, read on launch

       ~/.w3m/history
              browser history - visited files and URLs

       ~/.w3m/passwd
              password and username file

       ~/.w3m/pre_form
              contains predefined values to fill recurrent HTML forms

       ~/.w3m/mailcap
              external viewer configuration file

       ~/.w3m/mime.types
              MIME types file

NNOOTTEESS
       This is the WW33MM 0.5.3 Release.

SSEEEE AALLSSOO
       README and example files are to be found in the doc directory  of  your
       WW33MM  installation.  Recent  information  about  WW33MM may be found on the
       project's web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net

AACCKKNNOOWWLLEEDDGGMMEENNTTSS
       WW33MM has incorporated code from several sources.  Users have contributed
       patches and suggestions over time.

AAUUTTHHOORR
       Akinori ITO <aito@fw.ipsj.or.jp>

4th Berkeley Distribution         2014-10-31                            W3M(1)
6c6
<        w3m - a text based Web browser and pager
---
>        W3M - a text based web browser and pager
9,10c9
<    ppaaggeerr mmooddee,, rreeaaddiinngg ffrroomm SSTTDDIINN
<        ww33mm [-rM | -config _f_i_l_e | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t ]
---
>        ww33mm [OPTIONS|...  [ _f_i_l_e | _U_R_L ]...
12,17c11,16
<    bbrroowwsseerr mmooddee
<        ww33mm  [-t  |  -r  |  -B  | -M | -N | -W | -X | -num | -graph | -cookie |
<        -title | -reqlog ] _f_i_l_e | _U_R_L [...]
<
<    ttaarrggeett aanndd ttrraannssffeerr iinnffoorrmmaattiioonn mmooddee
<        ww33mm [-m | -dump_source | -dump_head | -dump_both | -dump_extra ]  _U_R_L
---
> DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
>        _W_3_M  has  been  developed  as a text based web client. It displays HTML
>        documents stored local or on remote systems. It renders HTML tables and
>        frames.  _W_3_M  ignores JavaScript and Cascading Style Sheets. It accepts
>        plain text from files or from standard input, serving as a  "pager"  in
>        much the same manner as "more" or "less".
19,21d17
<    ffiilltteerr mmooddee
<        ww33mm [ -dump | -cols _N | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -T _t_y_p_e ]  [  _f_i_l_e  |
<        _U_R_L ]
23,24c19,23
<    ssppeecciiaall ssttaarrttuuppss
<        ww33mm [ -v | -B | -bookmark _f_i_l_e ]
---
>        W3M  organizes  content  in  buffers and tabs, allowing easy navigation
>        between. Having the extra package with  w3m-img  installed,  W3M  shows
>        graphics  within a page or in a new buffer. Whenever W3M's capabilities
>        to render HTML do no meet your needs, the target URL can be handed over
>        to a graphic browser by a single command.
26,27d24
<    uussaaggee iinnffoorrmmaattiioonn
<        ww33mm [ -o | -show-option | -help  | -version ]
29,34c26
< DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
<        _w_3_m  has  been  developped as a text based web client. It displays HTML
<        documents residing on a local and a  remote  system.  It  renders  HTML
<        tables  and frames. _w_3_m ignores Java Script and Cascading Style Sheets.
<        For plain text files, it can be used as a "pager" in much the same man-
<        ner as "more" or "less".
---
>        For help with runtime options, press _"_H_" while running WW33MM.
37,40c29,33
< OOPPTTIIOONNSS
<        At  start  up,  ww33mm will load any local file or remote URL specified at
<        the command line.  For help with runtime options, press _"_H_" while  run-
<        ning ww33mm. Command line options are:
---
> AARRGGUUMMEENNTTSS
>        If given one argument or more arguments, W3M works like a browser. Hav-
>        ing recieved a URL, the respective content is worked out  according  to
>        the  MIME type. With relative or absolute paths as argument, W3M relies
>        on filenames to display the content in an adequate manner.
43c36,37
<        --tt _N   set tab width to N columns
---
>        With no argument, W3M expects data from STDIN. Input given by the  user
>        may be necessary the control how these data processed further.
45,46d38
<        --rr     ignore  underline  or  bolding  markup  constructions  that  use
<               backspace (e.g. in nroff)
48c40,41
<        --ll _N   preserve N lines of STDIN input (default 10000)
---
>        With  no  explicite targets and no stream of data from STDIN, W3M exits
>        with usage information.
50,51d42
<        --II _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
<               user defined character encoding of input data
53,54d43
<        --OO _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
<               user defined character encoding of output data
56,57c45,46
<        --TT _t_y_p_e
<               explicit characterization of input data by MIME type
---
> OOPPTTIIOONNSS
>        Options are introduced with a dash and may take an argument
59c48,50
<        --BB     starts with default bookmark file ~/.w3m/bookmark.html
---
>    OOppttiioonnss ttoo sseelleecctt pprreeddeeffiinneedd ccoonnffiigguurraattiioonnss aanndd rreessoouurrcceess
>        --ccoonnffiigg _f_i_l_e
>               use file instead of the default configuration file ~/.w3m/config
64c55,56
<        --vv     allows start with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL
---
>        --rreeqqlloogg
>               log headers of HTTP communication in file ~/.w3m/request.log
66c58
<        --FF     render frames
---
>        --ddeebbuugg DO NOT USE
68,69c60,61
<        --NN     distributes files or URL content to tabs.  By  default  multiple
<               targets are loaded in a stack of buffers.
---
>        --oo _o_p_t_i_o_n_=_v_a_l_u_e
>               modify one configuration item with an explicitely given value
71c63,71
<        --MM     monochrome display
---

>    TTuunniinngg WW33MM // OOppttiioonnss ttoo ttuunnee PPrrooggrraamm--UUsseerr--IInntteerraaccttiioonn //  MMaann--MMaacchhiinnee--IInntteerr--
>        ffaaccee
>        --ttiittllee use the buffer name as terminal title string.
>
>        --ttiittllee==TTEERRMM
>               use  the  buffer name as terminal title string. TERM style title
>               configuration is used
>               Implementation not verified
78,88c78
<        ++_N     go  to  line  N,  only effective for N larger than the number of
<               lines in the terminal
<
<        --mm     Internet message mode
<
<        --ggrraapphh use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables
<
<        --nnoo--ggrraapphh
<               do not use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables
<
<        --SS     squeeze multiple blank lines
---
>        --MM     monochrome display
92,94d81
<        --ttiittllee use the buffer name as terminal title string.  If TERM is speci-
<               fied, TERM style title configuration is used
<
95a83
>               Implementation not verified
97c85
<        --ppppcc _N width  of  N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to 32.0, default
---
>        --ppppcc _N width of N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to  32.0,  default
98a87
>               Implementation not verified
100a90
>               Implementation not verified
102,105d91
<        --dduummpp  dump rendered page into STDOUT
<
<        --dduummpp__ssoouurrccee
<               dump the page's source code into STDOUT
107,108c93,94
<        --dduummpp__hheeaadd
<               dump response of a HEAD request for an URL into STDOUT
---
>    CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa bbrroowwsseerr--lliikkee uussaaggee
>        --FF     render frames
110,111c96,97
<        --dduummpp__bbootthh
<               dump HEAD and source code for an URL into STDOUT
---
>        --NN     distribute  the contents passed with multiple command line argu-
>               ments to tabs. By default, a stack of buffers is used.
113,115c99,100
<        --dduummpp__eexxttrraa
<               dump HEAD, source code and extra information  for  an  URL  into
<               STDOUT
---
>        --ccooookkiiee, --nnoo--ccooookkiiee
>               accept and use cookies, neither accept nor use cookies
117,125c102,104
<        --ccoollss _N
<               combined  with -dump, HTML input is rendered to lines of N char-
<               acters length
<
<        --ppoosstt _f_i_l_e
<               use POST method with file content
<
<        --hheeaaddeerr _s_t_r_i_n_g
<               insert string as a header
---
>        --ggrraapphh, --nnoo--ggrraapphh
>               use or do not use graphic characters for borders of  frames  and
>               tables
134,135c113,114
<        --ccooookkiiee
<               accept and use cookies
---
>        --mm     Internet message mode
>               Implementation not verified
137,138c116,118
<        --nnoo--ccooookkiiee
<               neither accept nor use cookies
---
>    CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa ppaaggeerr--lliikkee uussaaggee
>        --rr     ignore  underline  or  bolding  markup  constructions  that  use
>               backspace (e.g. in nroff)
140,141c120
<        --sshhooww--ooppttiioonn
<               show all available config options
---
>        --ss     squeeze multiple blank lines into one
143,144c122
<        --ccoonnffiigg _f_i_l_e
<               use file instead of the default configuration file ~/.w3m/config
---
>        --tt _N   set tab width to N columns. No effect on STDOUT
146,147c124,142
<        --oo _o_p_t_i_o_n_=_v_a_l_u_e
<               assign value to config option
---

>    OOppttiioonnss ttoo ccoonnttrrooll ttrreeaattmmeenntt ooff ddaattaa iinnppuutt aanndd oouuttppuutt
>        --II _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
>               user defined character encoding of input data
>
>        --OO _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
>               user defined character encoding of output data
>
>        --TT _t_y_p_e
>               explicit characterization of input data by MIME type
>

>    CCoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss ffoorr aa ssppeecciiaall ssttaarrttuupp
>        --vv     allow start with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL
>
>        --BB     start with default bookmark file ~/.w3m/bookmark.html
>
>        --sshhooww--ooppttiioonn
>               show all available config options
152c147
<               show the version of ww33mm
---
>               show the version of WW33MM ()
154,155c149,150
<        --rreeqqlloogg
<               log headers of HTTP communication in file ~/.w3m/request.log
---
>    OOppttiioonnss ffoorr iinnssttaanntt ddaattaa rreeqquueessttss
>        --dduummpp  dump rendered page into STDOUT
157c152,183
<        --ddeebbuugg DO NOT USE
---
>        --dduummpp__ssoouurrccee
>               dump the page's source code into STDOUT
>
>        --dduummpp__hheeaadd
>               dump response of a HEAD request for a URL into STDOUT
>
>        --dduummpp__bbootthh
>               dump HEAD, and source code for a URL into STDOUT
>
>        --dduummpp__eexxttrraa
>               dump HEAD, source code, and extra information  for  a  URL  into
>               STDOUT ()
>

>    MMiisscceelllleenneeoouuss ccoommmmaanndd lliinnee ooppttiioonnss
>        ++_N     go  to  line  N;  only effective for N larger than the number of
>               lines in the terminal
>
>        --ccoollss _N
>               combined with -dump, HTML input is rendered to lines of N  char-
>               acters. Affects only STDOUT
>
>        --ll _N   number  of  lines preserved internally when recieving plain text
>               from STDIN (default 10 000)
>
>        --ppoosstt _f_i_l_e
>               use POST method with file content
>               Implementation not verified
>
>        --hheeaaddeerr _s_t_r_i_n_g
>               APPEND string to the HTTP(S)  request.  Expected  to  match  the
>               header syntax  Variable: Value
160,161c186,213
<        ww33mm as a pager
<               $ ls | w3m
---
>        Pager-like usage of WW33MM | WW33MM as a text pager
>               Combine snippets of html code and preview the page
>               $ cat header.html footer.html | w3m -T text/html fP
>
>        Browser-like usage of WW33MM | WW33MM as an HTML renderer
>               Display web content in monochromous terminals
>               $ w3m -M http://w3m.sourceforge.net
>               Display embedded graphics
>               w3m -o auto_image=TRUE http://w3m.sourceforge.net
>
>        Filter-like usage of WW33MM
>
>        Convert  an  HTML  file  to  a plain text file with a defined length of
>        lines
>        $ w3m -dump -cols 40 foo.html >foo.txt
>
>        Convert an HTML to plain text and append the contained links
>         w3m  -dump  -o  display_link_number=1   http://w3m.sourceforge.net   >
>        index.txt
>
>        Conversion of file format and character encoding
>        $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html -I EUC-JP -O UTF-8 >foo.txt
>
>        Special startups
>               Start with no input, suitable as predefined command to configure
>               in window manager menus w3m -v
>               Start with a preferred set of bookmark for special purposes
>               w3m -B -bookmark links-1.html
163,165d214
<        HTML files displayed by ww33mm
<               $ w3m foo.html |
<               $ cat foo.html | w3m -T text/html
167,168d215
<        Conversion of HTML content by ww33mm
<               $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html >foo.txt
171c218
<        $~/.w3m/config
---
>        ~/.w3m/config
174c221
<        $~/.w3m/keymap
---
>        ~/.w3m/keymap
177c224
<        $~/.w3m/menu
---
>        ~/.w3m/menu
180c227
<        $~/.w3m/mouse
---
>        ~/.w3m/mouse
183c230
<        $~/.w3m/cookie
---
>        ~/.w3m/cookie
186c233
<        $~/.w3m/history
---
>        ~/.w3m/history
189c236
<        $~/.w3m/passwd
---
>        ~/.w3m/passwd
192,193c239,240
<        $~/.w3m/pre_form
<               contains predefined values to fill recurrent HTML forms with
---
>        ~/.w3m/pre_form
>               contains predefined values to fill recurrent HTML forms
195c242
<        $~/.w3m/mailcap
---
>        ~/.w3m/mailcap
198c245
<        $~/.w3m/mime.types
---
>        ~/.w3m/mime.types
202c249
<        This is the ww33mm 0.5.3 Release.
---
>        This is the WW33MM 0.5.3 Release.
205,207c252,254
<        README and example files are to be found in the doc directory  of  Your
<        ww33mm installation. Recent information about ww33mm may be found in Japanese
<        or English on the project's web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net
---
>        README and example files are to be found in the doc directory  of  your
>        WW33MM  installation.  Recent  information  about  WW33MM may be found on the
>        project's web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net
210c257
<        ww33mm has incorporated code from several sources.  Users have contributed
---
>        WW33MM has incorporated code from several sources.  Users have contributed
218c265
< 4th Berkeley Distribution         2014-10-26                            W3M(1)
---