Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

I went trough Your corrections and annotations.

Justin B Rye schrieb am 24. Oct 2014 um 12:42

[...]

> > \fBw3m\fP [-t | -r | -M | -config \fIfile\fP | -I \fIcharset\fP | -O \fIcharset\fP ]
> > .SS
>
> This fails to mention that it takes a file argument (or STDIN), and
> falsely implies that -t, -r etc are mutually exclusive.  You want
> something like
>
>  w3m [-M] [-r] [-config file] [-I charset] [-O charset] [-t tab] [filename]
>
> with appropriate nroff highlighting; but why mention these particular
> options and not, for instance, "+<num>" or "-W" or "-S"?  (Oh, wait,
> the man page claims "-S" is "squeeze blanks", but no, that's "-s".)

I'm still undecided whether it makes sense to have the options
explicitely listed instead of "[OPTIONS]" in the synopsis.

The seperated treatment of a "pager mode" and a "browser" mode was
primarily meant to stress that w3m expects data from STDIN if no
target file is delivered. One remainig problem: I never saw
constructions like

  cat file | w3m
or
  STDIN | w3m
or
  w3m < STDIN

in the synopsis of a manpage.

> > browse and file view mode

> Unclear.  Do you mean "browser mode"?  What kinds of files can w3m
> "view" that don't already fall under "pager" or "browser" (given that
> those may have handle fancy MIME-handling)?

My assuptions for classification:

capability:
Read from STDIN     -,
Display plain text  -+--,
Display HTML        -+--+--,
Follow URLs         -+--+--+--,
                     |  |  |  |
                     v  v  v  v

typical pager        y  y  n  n
typical browser      n  n  y  y

> > \fBw3m\fP [-t | -r | -B | -M | -N | -W | -X | -num | -graph | -cookie | -title | -reqlog ] \fIfile\fP | \fIURL\fP [...]
> > .SS

> Again, mostly shouldn't be separated by vertical lines.  And if we're
> going to rewrite it, can we please distinguish the ones that take
> parameters (such as -t) and put them into some sort of order?

>  w3m [-M] [-N] [-W] [-X] [-r] [-cookie] [-num] [-graph] [-reqlog] [-title[=TERM]] [-t tab] file | URL [...]

I already distinguished between with- and without-parameter
options. Just with -t, I forgot the number it expects.

> Also of course you can use "pager" options in "browser" mode and
> vice versa, but I suppose this is the sort of simplification that's
> accepted.

You're right. There is no separation between pager mode and browser
mode options. But there are combinationss of no or of little
use. E.g. option -N when you use w3m as a pager for STDIN data. Such
background made me mention the options -I and -O in the filter mode,
because it quite probable there that user needs control of decoding
(maybe unspecified) incoming data and the choice of how outcoming data
are encoded.

> > remote target data mode

> Technically the header-dumping and so on also work on a local URL...
> maybe it should be something like "HTTP data mode"?  But then again
> what exactly *does* -m do?

> > \fBw3m\fP [-m | -dump_source | -dump_head | -dump_both | -dump_extra ]  \fIURL\fP

> At least these presumably are mutually exclusive and do deserve the
> vertical lines.

Yes, a combination of these dump-options makes no sense. Using the "|"
was a mistake because it stands for OR.

What do You think of "target and HTTP meta data mode"?

To avoid difficult questions of how to label "modes" of usage, one
could shorten the section "SYNOPSIS" and extend section "EXAMPLES".

> > .SS
> > filter mode
> > \fBw3m\fP [ -dump | -cols \fIN\fP | -I \fIcharset\fP | -O \fIcharset\fP | -T \fItype\fP ]  [ \fIfile\fP | \fIURL\fP ]
>
> "-cols N" but not "-t tab"?

I tested it:
  -t N only affects displayed files
  -cols N only affects how html-files are rendered to STOUT

> > .SS
> > special startups
> > \fBw3m\fP [ -v | -B | -bookmark \fIfile\fP ]
>
> Fair enough.

> > .SS
> > usage information
> > \fBw3m\fP [ -o | -show-option | -help  | -version ]
> > .SH DESCRIPTION
> > .\".\" This defines appropriate quote strings for nroff and troff
> > .\".ds lq \&"
> > .\".ds rq \&"
> > .\".if t .ds lq ``
> > .\".if t .ds rq ''
> > .\".\" Just in case these number registers aren't set yet...
> > .\".if \nN==0 .nr N 10
> > .\".if \nD==0 .nr D 5
>
> What are these changes for?

The effect of the block for "appropriate quote strings" is not clear
to me. You find this block already in the original w3m.1 file. We
needed to comment this block out when creating a german man page
because it made po4a-translate exit with an error.

> > \fIw3m\fP is a World Wide Web (WWW) text based client. It has English

> Pre-existing English error: "World Wide Web (WWW) text based client"
> should be "text-based World Wide Web (WWW) client".  Or really it
> could take it for granted we all learned what WWW means decades ago
> and just say "text-based web client".

OK.

> > and Japanese help files and an option menu and can be configured to

> Isn't your objective to create further help files?

This would be an argument to omit references to English and Japanese
as avaible language, doesn't it?

> > use either language. It will display hypertext markup language (HTML)
> > documents containing links to files residing on the local system, as

> Again, this millennium we can just say "HTML documents", but there's a
> bigger problem: it can display them even if they don't contain links
> to files anywhere else at all.  This is a piece of gibberish that also
> used to be in the package description for lynx-cur, but I managed to
> get that fixed back in 2009 -
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2009/07/msg00054.html
>
> All it's trying to say is something like
>
>                        It can render local or remote web pages and
>   follow links.
>
> But once you've boiled it down to this it's fairly pointless.  That's
> the minimum functionality required before we'll describe something as
> a "web browser".
>
> > well as files residing on remote systems. It can display HTML tables
>
> The part about tables and frames is worth having, in that it makes it
> clear that unlike Lynx it supports HTML 3.  On the other hand we
> might mention that it has no support for CSS, JavaScript, etc.
>
> > and frames.  In addition, it can be used as a "pager" in much the same
> > manner as "more" or "less".  Current versions of \fBw3m\fP run on
> > Unix (Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, Linux, FreeBSD, and EWS4800) and on
> > Microsoft Windows 9x/NT.

> How many of these operating systems still exist?

I don't know. I assumed that You regard this statement as obsolete too
and dropped it.

> > .SH OPTIONS
> >
> > At start up, \fBw3m\fP will load any local ile or remote URL specified
                                              ^
> Preexisting typo.

OK

> > at the command line.  For help with runtime options, press \fI"H"\fP
> > while running \fBw3m\fP. Command line options are:
>
> (In no particular order...)
>

> > .TP
> > \fB-t\fP \fIN\fP
> > set tab width to N columns
> > .TP
> > \fB-r\fP
> > ignore backspace effect
>
> The SourceForge user manual is clearer, explaining at least partway
> that it prevents the backspace-and-underline or overstrike bolding
> used (e.g.) in nroff.
>
>   ignore backspaces used for nroff-style effects

Description changed.

> > .TP
> > \fB-l \fIN\fR
> > preserve N lines of STDIN input (default 10000)

> In English text that should be "10,000".  But what does it preserve
> it against?

Is this separation with commas obligatory in English? The German
equivalent with dots is obligatory. Introducing the comma would force
the integer to be "translated too. A strong reason to avoid the dubios
helpers.

I did not test this setting, assuming that additional lines could get
lost.

> > .TP
> > \fB-I \fIcharset\fR
> > user defined character encoding of input data
> > .TP
> > \fB-O \fIcharset\fR
> > user defined character encoding of output data
> > .TP
> > \fB-T \fItype\fR
> > explicite characterization of input data by MIME type

> Spelling: explicit.  Wikipedia seems to think that these days we're
> meant to call them "Internet Media Types", but until I see an RFC
> backing that up my position is [Citation Needed].

  this backs up Your position

  A file identification based on the MIME encoding system. Formerly
  "MIME type," the Internet media type has become the de facto
  standard for identifying content on the Internet.
                (http://www.yourdictionary.com/internet-media-type)

Nevertheless I am not decided to replace "MIME-Type" as I assume that
the name of the respective file /etc/mime.type will remain.

> > .TP
> > \fB-B\fP
> > load stored bookmarks
>
> It would make at least as much sense to mention ~/.w3m/bookmark.html
> here, given that that's what -B loads.  It might also mention that
> this overrides any argument.
>
> > .TP
> > \fB-bookmark \fIfile\fR
> > specifies bookmark file to be used (default \fC~/.w3m/bookmark.html\fP)

> > .TP
> > \fB-v\fP
> > allows starting with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL

> Well, that's better than the nonsensical "visual mode", but it could
> be clearer.  For a start, "w3m -v" isn't the same as saying plain
> "w3m" (which goes to WWW_HOME).

As far as I know there is no WWW_HOME. Without target file or STDIN
input, w3m puts out help lines.

I slightly modified the style of the description.

> > .TP
> > \fB-F\fP
> > render frames
> > .TP
> > .\"fixes bugreports  530468 345084
>
> Omit.  (Nice, though.  Ooh, it even combines with -title.)
>
> > \fB-N\fP
> > distributes series of input, one tab per file or URL. By default series of input files loaded in a stack of buffers.
>
> In English:
>   distribute files or URLs to separate tabs. By default multiple targets are loaded in a stack of buffers

> > .TP
> > \fB-M\fP
> > monochrome display
> > .TP
> > \fB-no-mouse\fP
> > do not use mouse
> > .TP
> > \fB-num\fP
> > display each line's number
> > .TP
> > \fB+\fIN\fR
> > go to line N, only effective for N larger than number of lines in the terminal
>
> More grammatically:
>   go to line N; only effective for N larger than the number of lines in the terminal

OK

> > .TP
> > \fB-m\fP
> > internet message mode
>
> Capital I for Internet.  SourceForge has more information, but not
> enough to be intelligible.

I doubt whether it is worth to explore this. If I recall my tests
correctly, -m only affects the dump of message files, e.g. outputs the
header of a mail file when dump_head was used as option.

> > .TP
> > \fB-graph\fP
> > use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables
> > .TP
> > \fBno-graph\fP
>
> You've lost a leading hyphen.

OK

> > do not use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables
> > .TP
> > \fB-S\fP
> > squeeze multiple blank lines
>
> No, that's -s (which upstream claim has something to do with Japanese
> legacy charsets.)

-e, -j and -s commandline options are not accepted by w3m here. It
seems MANUAL.html is outdated.

Would You prefer a more detailed description? E.g:

 "replaces two and more blank lines of plain text files with a single one"

> > .TP
> > \fB-W\fP
> > toggle wrap search mode
>
>  toggle wrapping in searches

OK

> > .TP
> > \fB-title\fP
> > use the buffer name as terminal title string.
> > If TERM is specified, TERM style title configuration is used

> So it needs to say something like "\fB-title\fP [=TERM]".

On my system, I do not have the means to investigate what an addition
of =TERM does. Here, only xterm is installed and the title bar
indicates the content w3m is about to display. In addition, I have no
idea about all this terminal stuff.

Therefore, I would omit [=TERM]. It just confuses.

Trials of Usage:

input:               Title appears in the terminal window's title bar:
w3m -title ~         yes
w3m -title=xterm ~   yes
w3m -title=lxterm ~  no
w3m -title=uxterm ~  no

> > .TP
> > \fB-X\fP
> > do not use termcap init/deinit

> Termcap doesn't exist on GNU/Linux, so maybe it should say
>   do not use terminfo/termcap init/deinit
> or
>   do not initialize/deinitialize the terminal

I used Your description. Though I wonder about "initialization" of the
terminal due to w3m. Usually, the terminal already runs when w3m is
started. Are the terminal settings affected by a program that starts
within the terminal?

> > .TP
> > \fB-ppc \fIN\fR
> > width of N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to 32.0, default 8.0.
> > Larger values will make tables narrower.

> Yes, it warps tables, but there's no sign of characters changing size.
> Is this for something Japanese-specific?

> > .TP
> > \fB-ppl \fIN\fR
> > height of N pixels per line. Range of 4.0 to 64.0.
>
> Ditto.

I wonder whether it makes sense to mention options with no proof of
that they really do what was promised to be done. I found neither
effect for the options -ppc and -ppl and neither for the
pixel_per_character and pixel_per_line parameter in the panel for
setting options within w3m.And this refers to xterm windows and tty
terminals.

As the output of w3m -version does not indicate that these scaling
functions have been excluded from complilation, I would conclude that
they are not at all correctly implemented in the source code itself.

Shall we ask the maintainer Tatsuya?

> > .TP
> > \fB-dump\fP
> > dump formatted/rendered page into STDOUT
> > .\" bugreport 285251
>
> Omit.

What is Your preference about the verbs to format and to render? I'm
inclined to the latter and changed the text respectively.

> > .TP
> > \fB-dump_source\fP
> > dump source code into STDOUT
>
> The SourceForge versions are clearer:
>   Read document specified by URL and dump the source.

> > .TP
> > \fB-dump_head\fP
> > dump response of HEAD request into STDOUT
>
>    Read document specified by URL and dump the HEAD

According the request.log file, w3m really uses a HEAD instead of a
GET request in this context. Therefore I would not change the given
explanation.

> > .TP
> > \fB-dump_both\fP
> > dump HEAD and source code into STDOUT
> > .TP
> > \fB-dump_extra\fP
> > dump HEAD, source code and extra information into STDOUT
>
> Etc.

> > .TP
> > \fB-cols \fIN\fR
> > renders HTML input to lines of N characters length (to be used with -dump)
>
>   render HTML for lines of N characters length (for use with -dump)

I changed the whole explanation for this option, see diff

> > .TP
> > \fB-post \fIfile\fR
> > use POST method with file content
> > .TP
> > \fB-header \fIstring\fR
> > insert string as a header
> > .TP
> > \fB-no-proxy\fP
> > do not use proxy
> > .TP
> > \fB-4\fP
> > IPv4 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=4)
> > .TP
> > \fB-6\fP
> > IPv6 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=6)
> > .TP
> > \fB-cookie\fP
> > accept and use cookies
> > .TP
> > \fB-no-cookie\fP
> > neither accept nor use cookies
> > .TP
> > \fB-show-option\fP
> > show all available config option
>                             options
> (The option name itself has the same error)

> > .TP
> > \fB-config \fIfile\fR
> > use file instead of the default configuration file \fC~/.w3m/config
> > .TP
> > \fB-o \fIoption=value\fR
> > assign value to config option
> > .TP
> > \fB-help\fP
> > show \fBw3m's\fP version and help on invocation of the programm in the command line
>
> Spelling: program.  It also provides help for invocation of w3m even
> if you're planning to do it from (e.g.) a cronjob, and it also lists
> compile-time flags, so maybe:
>
>   show a summary of compiled-in and runtime options

I used your suggestion, though it lacks mentioning that version's
number is delivered too.

> (The -h output has spelling and grammar problems of its own.)

It will be interesting whether and how internationalization is
prepared for the help and the functions overviews. Spread within the
source files, comments like "gettextize" indicate that this project has
been stopped halfway.

> > .TP
> > \fB-version\fP
> > show version version of \fBw3m\fP
>
> Repetition.

OK

> > .TP
> > \fB-reqlog\fP
> > log headers of HTTP communication in file \fC~/.w3m/request.log
>
> Or indeed HTTPS... though apparently not FTP, so say "HTTP(S)".
>
> > .TP
> > \fB-debug\fP
> > DO NOT USE
> > .SH EXAMPLES
> > .\"fixes Bug report 380560 Use simplest example
>
> Omit.
>
> > .TP
> > \fBw3m\fP as a pager
> > \fC$ ls | w3m\fP
> > .TP
> > HTML files displayed by \fBw3m\fP
> > \fC$ w3m foo.html |
> > .br
> > $ cat foo.html | w3m -T text/html\fP
>
> Useless Use Of Cat.  What's wrong with
>
>   $ w3m -T text/html < foo.html
>
> ...?  Of course this just makes it obvious you'd never do that.

I think the background of the three examples is just to demonstrate
how w3m accepts piped data and the necessity of declaring the type of
such data with the -T option. But I share You criticism. Quite
probable, the reader wonders what is the point about these trivial
examples.

What could be an argument in favour of pulling the examples for the
modes of usuge from the synopsis down to this examples section.

> > .TP
> > Conversion of HTML content by \fBw3m\fP
> > $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html >foo.txt
>
> More Useless Use Of Cat, plus UUO "-dump -T text/html" - you'd get the
> same result from just:
>
>   $ w3m foo.html > foo.txt
>
> For a more plausible scenario try:
>
>   web page rendering
>   $ find -name "*.html" | xargs w3m | mail $USER

I tried two versions of

 $ find -name "*.html" | xargs w3m | mail $USER

Both led to error messages.  I think, this is to extreme in the other
way, to ambitious.

> > .\"fixes bug report 403634 man w3m: add a FILES section
>
> Omit.
>
> > .SH FILES
> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/config\fP
> > user defined configuration file, overrides \fC$/etc/w3m/config\fP
>
> Why "${HOME}/.w3m/" instead of just "~/.w3m/"?

Replaced {HOME} with ~/

> (In fact if upstream were more active I'd suggest adopting
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.)

I'm afraid that w3m is an orphan. On friday, I explored how it treats
domain data in HTTP communication and in cookies. (Our
domain_avoid_wrong_number_of_dot parameter problem.) I got the
impression that applying patches finally produced patchwork.

> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/keymap\fP
> > user defined key binding, overrides default key binding
>                    bindings;
> The comma in all of these would be better as a semicolon (or stop).

OK
Don't we need an additional s as well in "default key binding"?

> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/menu\fP
> > user defined menu, overrides default menu
> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/mouse\fP
> > user defined mouse settings
> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/cookie\fP
> > deposit of cookies between termination and start of of \fBw3m\fP

> If you mean "place where they're stored", that's conventionally the
> "cookie jar".  "Termination" makes it sound as if you mean SIGTERM...
> how about:
>
>   cookie jar (written on exit, read on launch)

Yes, "cookie jar". I did not know this dedicated expression for this
file.

> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/history\fP
> > history of visited files and URLs
>
> This makes it sound as if it's the history of the files.  Say
>
>   browser history - visited files and URLs

> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/passwd\fP
> > password and username file
> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/pre_form\fP
> > contains predefined values to fill recurrent html forms with
>
> I'm not crazy about "recurrent", but it'll do.  "html" should be
> "HTML", though.

OK

> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/mailcap\fP
> > external viewer configuration file
> > .TP
> > \fC${HOME}/.w3m/mime.types\fP
> > MIME types file
> > .\" .TP
> > .\" .I ${HOME}/.w3m/urimethodmap
> > .\" ???
>
> No idea.

It seems that this urimethodmap script is a late contribution to the
project and a bit experimental; i.e. a field to be explored by users
inclined to write scripts. Therefore commented out by the author of
the current manpage version.

If I knew how to write such a file and could indicate reliable
documention about its content, I would mention this file.

> > .SH NOTES
>
> Isn't this SEE ALSO?
>
> > This is the \fBw3m\fP 0.5.3 Release.
> > .PP
> > Please see the MANUAL.html file distributed with \fBw3m\fP for
> > more detailed documentation.
>
> Actually this makes the man page more detailed than the MANUAL.html
> file for a lot of stuff.

I share Your view on MANUAL.html. I aimed to improve the description
of the options. MANUAL.html is poor where the manpage was poor too.

A reason for still mentioning it are the links to example files (key
bindings) and README-files it contains.

With respect to these README-files, it would make sense to refer to
README.mouse, README.pre_form, README.cookie etc. in the section FILES
above, where the respective configuration files are presented.

> > .PP
> > Additional information about \fBw3m\fP may be found on its Japanese
> > language Web site located at:
> > .br
> >   http://w3m.sourceforge.net/index.ja.html
> > .br
> > or on its English version of the site at:
> >   http://w3m.sourceforge.net/index.en.html
>
> Those are both the same "site"; say
>   Additional information about w3m may be found in Japanese or English
>   on its web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
>
> > .SH ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
> > \fBw3m\fP has incorporated code from several sources.
> > Users have contributed patches and suggestions over time.
> > .SH AUTHOR
> > Akinori ITO <aito@fw.ipsj.or.jp>
>
> (Phew, that took me longer than I expected.  Sorry it's still only
> inline comments rather than a proposed diff.)

Thanks and phew2. I did not expect or hope for ploughing through this
piece that thoroughly. I sent it to You and the English language team
as I proofreading by a native speaker would be reasonable.

Version _2 and a diff - file are attached.

Regards
Markus
W3M(1)                                                                  W3M(1)

NNAAMMEE
       w3m - a text based Web browser and pager

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
   ppaaggeerr mmooddee,, rreeaaddiinngg ffrroomm SSTTDDIINN
       ww33mm [-rM | -config _f_i_l_e | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t ]

   bbrroowwsseerr mmooddee
       ww33mm  [-t  |  -r  |  -B  | -M | -N | -W | -X | -num | -graph | -cookie |
       -title | -reqlog ] _f_i_l_e | _U_R_L [...]

   ttaarrggeett aanndd ttrraannssffeerr iinnffoorrmmaattiioonn mmooddee
       ww33mm [-m | -dump_source | -dump_head | -dump_both | -dump_extra ]  _U_R_L

   ffiilltteerr mmooddee
       ww33mm [ -dump | -cols _N | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -T _t_y_p_e ]  [  _f_i_l_e  |
       _U_R_L ]

   ssppeecciiaall ssttaarrttuuppss
       ww33mm [ -v | -B | -bookmark _f_i_l_e ]

   uussaaggee iinnffoorrmmaattiioonn
       ww33mm [ -o | -show-option | -help  | -version ]

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
       _w_3_m  has  been  developped as a text based web client. It displays HTML
       documents residing on a local and a  remote  system.  It  renders  HTML
       tables  and frames. _w_3_m ignores Java Script and Cascading Style Sheets.
       For plain text files, it can be used as a "pager" in much the same man-
       ner as "more" or "less".

OOPPTTIIOONNSS
       At  start  up,  ww33mm will load any local file or remote URL specified at
       the command line.  For help with runtime options, press _"_H_" while  run-
       ning ww33mm. Command line options are:

       --tt _N   set tab width to N columns

       --rr     ignore  underline  or  bolding  markup  constructions  that  use
              backspace (e.g. in nroff)

       --ll _N   preserve N lines of STDIN input (default 10000)

       --II _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
              user defined character encoding of input data

       --OO _c_h_a_r_s_e_t
              user defined character encoding of output data

       --TT _t_y_p_e
              explicit characterization of input data by MIME type

       --BB     starts with default bookmark file ~/.w3m/bookmark.html

       --bbooookkmmaarrkk _f_i_l_e
              specifies another bookmark file to be used

       --vv     allows start with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL

       --FF     render frames

       --NN     distributes files or URL content to tabs.  By  default  multiple
              targets are loaded in a stack of buffers.

       --MM     monochrome display

       --nnoo--mmoouussee
              do not use mouse

       --nnuumm   display each line's number

       ++_N     go  to  line  N,  only effective for N larger than the number of
              lines in the terminal

       --mm     Internet message mode

       --ggrraapphh use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables

       --nnoo--ggrraapphh
              do not use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables

       --SS     squeeze multiple blank lines

       --WW     toggle wrapping in searches

       --ttiittllee use the buffer name as terminal title string.  If TERM is speci-
              fied, TERM style title configuration is used

       --XX     do not initialize/deinitilize the terminal

       --ppppcc _N width  of  N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to 32.0, default
              8.0.  Larger values will make tables narrower.

       --ppppll _N height of N pixels per line. Range of 4.0 to 64.0.

       --dduummpp  dump rendered page into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__ssoouurrccee
              dump the page's source code into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__hheeaadd
              dump response of a HEAD request for an URL into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__bbootthh
              dump HEAD and source code for an URL into STDOUT

       --dduummpp__eexxttrraa
              dump HEAD, source code and extra information  for  an  URL  into
              STDOUT

       --ccoollss _N
              combined  with -dump, HTML input is rendered to lines of N char-
              acters length

       --ppoosstt _f_i_l_e
              use POST method with file content

       --hheeaaddeerr _s_t_r_i_n_g
              insert string as a header

       --nnoo--pprrooxxyy
              do not use proxy

       --44     IPv4 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=4)

       --66     IPv6 only (equivalent to -o dns_order=6)

       --ccooookkiiee
              accept and use cookies

       --nnoo--ccooookkiiee
              neither accept nor use cookies

       --sshhooww--ooppttiioonn
              show all available config options

       --ccoonnffiigg _f_i_l_e
              use file instead of the default configuration file ~/.w3m/config

       --oo _o_p_t_i_o_n_=_v_a_l_u_e
              assign value to config option

       --hheellpp  show a summary of compiled-in and runtime options

       --vveerrssiioonn
              show the version of ww33mm

       --rreeqqlloogg
              log headers of HTTP communication in file ~/.w3m/request.log

       --ddeebbuugg DO NOT USE

EEXXAAMMPPLLEESS
       ww33mm as a pager
              $ ls | w3m

       HTML files displayed by ww33mm
              $ w3m foo.html |
              $ cat foo.html | w3m -T text/html

       Conversion of HTML content by ww33mm
              $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html >foo.txt

FFIILLEESS
       $~/.w3m/config
              user defined configuration file, overrides $/etc/w3m/config

       $~/.w3m/keymap
              user defined key bindings; overrides default key bindings

       $~/.w3m/menu
              user defined menu, overrides default menu

       $~/.w3m/mouse
              user defined mouse settings

       $~/.w3m/cookie
              cookie jar; written on exit, read on launch

       $~/.w3m/history
              browser history - visited files and URLs

       $~/.w3m/passwd
              password and username file

       $~/.w3m/pre_form
              contains predefined values to fill recurrent HTML forms with

       $~/.w3m/mailcap
              external viewer configuration file

       $~/.w3m/mime.types
              MIME types file

NNOOTTEESS
       This is the ww33mm 0.5.3 Release.

SSEEEE AALLSSOO
       README and example files are to be found in the doc directory  of  Your
       ww33mm installation. Recent information about ww33mm may be found in Japanese
       or English on the project's web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net

AACCKKNNOOWWLLEEDDGGMMEENNTTSS
       ww33mm has incorporated code from several sources.  Users have contributed
       patches and suggestions over time.

AAUUTTHHOORR
       Akinori ITO <aito@fw.ipsj.or.jp>

4th Berkeley Distribution         2014-10-26                            W3M(1)
--- w3m_1.1.txt	2014-10-26 19:18:50.000000000 +0100
+++ w3m_2.1.txt	2014-10-26 19:18:59.000000000 +0100
@@ -6,14 +6,14 @@
        w3m - a text based Web browser and pager

 SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
-   ppaaggeerr mmooddee
-       ww33mm [-t | -r | -M | -config _f_i_l_e | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t ]
+   ppaaggeerr mmooddee,, rreeaaddiinngg ffrroomm SSTTDDIINN
+       ww33mm [-rM | -config _f_i_l_e | -I _c_h_a_r_s_e_t | -O _c_h_a_r_s_e_t ]

-   bbrroowwssee aanndd ffiillee vviieeww mmooddee
+   bbrroowwsseerr mmooddee
        ww33mm  [-t  |  -r  |  -B  | -M | -N | -W | -X | -num | -graph | -cookie |
        -title | -reqlog ] _f_i_l_e | _U_R_L [...]

-   rreemmoottee ttaarrggeett ddaattaa mmooddee

@@ -27,26 +27,23 @@
        ww33mm [ -o | -show-option | -help  | -version ]

 DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
-       _w_3_m is a World Wide Web (WWW) text based client. It has English and Ja-
-       panese help files and an option menu  and  can  be  configured  to  use
-       either language. It will display hypertext markup language (HTML) docu-
-       ments containing links to files residing on the local system,  as  well
-       as  files  residing  on  remote systems. It can display HTML tables and
-       frames.  In addition, it can be used as a "pager" in much the same man-
-       ner as "more" or "less".  Current versions of ww33mm run on Unix (Solaris,
-       SunOS, HP-UX, Linux, FreeBSD, and EWS4800)  and  on  Microsoft  Windows
-       9x/NT.
+       _w_3_m  has  been  developped as a text based web client. It displays HTML
+       documents residing on a local and a  remote  system.  It  renders  HTML
+       tables  and frames. _w_3_m ignores Java Script and Cascading Style Sheets.
+       For plain text files, it can be used as a "pager" in much the same man-
+       ner as "more" or "less".

 OOPPTTIIOONNSS
-       At start up, ww33mm will load any local ile or remote URL specified at the
-       command line.  For help with runtime options, press _"_H_"  while  running
-       ww33mm. Command line options are:
+       At  start  up,  ww33mm will load any local file or remote URL specified at
+       the command line.  For help with runtime options, press _"_H_" while  run-
+       ning ww33mm. Command line options are:

        --tt _N   set tab width to N columns

-       --rr     ignore backspace effect

@@ -57,20 +54,19 @@
               user defined character encoding of output data

        --TT _t_y_p_e
-              explicite characterization of input data by MIME type
+              explicit characterization of input data by MIME type

-       --BB     load stored bookmarks
+       --BB     starts with default bookmark file ~/.w3m/bookmark.html

        --bbooookkmmaarrkk _f_i_l_e
-              specifies   bookmark  file  to  be  used  (default  ~/.w3m/book-
-              mark.html)
+              specifies another bookmark file to be used

-       --vv     allows starting with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL
+       --vv     allows start with no defined input via STDIN, file or URL

        --FF     render frames

-       --NN     distributes series of input, one tab per file or URL. By default
-              series of input files loaded in a stack of buffers.
+       --NN     distributes files or URL content to tabs.  By  default  multiple
+              targets are loaded in a stack of buffers.

        --MM     monochrome display

@@ -79,47 +75,48 @@

        --nnuumm   display each line's number

-       ++_N     go  to  line N, only effective for N larger than number of lines
-              in the terminal
+       ++_N     go  to  line  N,  only effective for N larger than the number of
+              lines in the terminal

-       --mm     internet message mode
+       --mm     Internet message mode

        --ggrraapphh use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables

-       nnoo--ggrraapphh
+       --nnoo--ggrraapphh
               do not use graphic characters for borders of frames and tables

        --SS     squeeze multiple blank lines

-       --WW     toggle wrap search mode
+       --WW     toggle wrapping in searches

        --ttiittllee use the buffer name as terminal title string.  If TERM is speci-
               fied, TERM style title configuration is used

-       --XX     do not use termcap init/deinit
+       --XX     do not initialize/deinitilize the terminal

        --ppppcc _N width  of  N pixels per character. Range of 4.0 to 32.0, default
               8.0.  Larger values will make tables narrower.

        --ppppll _N height of N pixels per line. Range of 4.0 to 64.0.

-       --dduummpp  dump formatted/rendered page into STDOUT

@@ -141,7 +138,7 @@
               neither accept nor use cookies

        --sshhooww--ooppttiioonn
-              show all available config option
+              show all available config options

        --ccoonnffiigg _f_i_l_e
               use file instead of the default configuration file ~/.w3m/config
@@ -149,11 +146,10 @@
        --oo _o_p_t_i_o_n_=_v_a_l_u_e
               assign value to config option

-       --hheellpp  show ww33mm''ss version and help on invocation of the programm in the
-              command line
+       --hheellpp  show a summary of compiled-in and runtime options

        --vveerrssiioonn
-              show version version of ww33mm

@@ -172,47 +168,43 @@
               $ cat foo.html | w3m -dump -T text/html >foo.txt

 FFIILLEESS
-       ${HOME}/.w3m/config
+       $~/.w3m/config
               user defined configuration file, overrides $/etc/w3m/config

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/keymap
-              user defined key binding, overrides default key binding
+       $~/.w3m/keymap
+              user defined key bindings; overrides default key bindings

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/menu
+       $~/.w3m/menu
               user defined menu, overrides default menu

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/mouse
+       $~/.w3m/mouse
               user defined mouse settings

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/cookie
-              deposit of cookies between termination and start of of ww33mm
+       $~/.w3m/cookie
+              cookie jar; written on exit, read on launch

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/history
-              history of visited files and URLs
+       $~/.w3m/history
+              browser history - visited files and URLs

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/passwd
+       $~/.w3m/passwd
               password and username file

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/pre_form
-              contains predefined values to fill recurrent html forms with
+       $~/.w3m/pre_form
+              contains predefined values to fill recurrent HTML forms with

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/mailcap
+       $~/.w3m/mailcap
               external viewer configuration file

-       ${HOME}/.w3m/mime.types
+       $~/.w3m/mime.types
               MIME types file

 NNOOTTEESS
        This is the ww33mm 0.5.3 Release.

-       Please see the MANUAL.html file distributed with ww33mm for more  detailed
-       documentation.
-
-       Additional  information about ww33mm may be found on its Japanese language
-       Web site located at:
-         http://w3m.sourceforge.net/index.ja.html
-       or on its English version of the site at:
-         http://w3m.sourceforge.net/index.en.html
+SSEEEE AALLSSOO
+       README and example files are to be found in the doc directory  of  Your
+       ww33mm installation. Recent information about ww33mm may be found in Japanese
+       or English on the project's web pages at http://w3m.sourceforge.net

 AACCKKNNOOWWLLEEDDGGMMEENNTTSS
        ww33mm has incorporated code from several sources.  Users have contributed
@@ -223,4 +215,4 @@

-4th Berkeley Distribution         2014-10-23                            W3M(1)
+4th Berkeley Distribution         2014-10-26                            W3M(1)