Re: Correct one-line-description of cookie setting in textbrowser w3m needed

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> I work on the german translation for the text-browser w3m. Within the
> cookie settings, I doubt whether the short description of last of the
> seven options on the option panel really fits to what is meant.
>
> section[8]: Cookie Settings

It took me a while to work out that I wasn't meant to be finding this
in the docs - it's a dialogue constructed out of strings in the source
file "rc.c".

> 1 use_cookie=<bool>                Enable cookie processing

(That really ought to be "use_cookieS", and likewise for most of the
other variable names below.)

> 2 show_cookie=<bool>               Print a message when receiving a cookie
> 3 accept_cookie=<bool>             Accept cookies
> 4 accept_bad_cookie=<number>       Action to be taken on invalid cookie

<number>?

> 5 cookie_reject_domains=<string>   Domains to reject cookies from
> 6 cookie_accept_domains=<string>   Domains to accept cookies from
> 7 cookie_avoid_wrong_number_of_dots=<string> Domains to avoid [wrong number of dots]
>
> My doubts began with the question what was the difference between
> option 5 and 7, i.e. domains to reject and domains to
> avoid. Meanwhile, I recieved hints to general information on cookie
> processing and documention on w3m:
>
> In file:///usr/share/doc/w3m/README.cookie it is explained
>
>     If the number of "." in domain name is lesser than 2, it is
>     assumed as invalid cookie (cf. RFC 2109 4.3.2), however, you can

      If the number of dots in the domain name is less than two, it is
      treated as an invalid cookie (cf. RFC 2109 4.3.2). However, you can

>     use cookie_avoid_wrong_number_of_dots to avoid this
>     restriction. You can set this in "Domains to avoid [wrong number
>     of dots]" on the Option Setting Panel.

It's not a great variable name, either, because the user isn't being
asked to specify one "wrong" number N which will configure w3m to
reject cookies for domains with N dots - if I understand correctly,
setting N=1 will cause w3m to reject as invalid all cookies for
single-dotted *or* dotless domains (that is, it sets the minimum valid
number of dots to two, which is just begging for off-by-one errors).
It's not quite clear if you can meaningfully set N=255.  And... wait,
why on earth is it a <string>?   What would it mean if I set N=fish?

Tatsuya Kinoshita says
# I'd like to use the "Domains to ..." style like other options.

That would be a good idea if this option was asking for a domain name
string like the preceding options, but if it's really asking for an
integer then it is a different kind of question and there's no point
trying to contort it into the same style.

If we only get to fix the comment string and not the logic, I don't
see any way of saying it that will fit - it would have to be something
like:

  cookie_avoid_wrong_number_of_dots=<string> Reject cookies with this many dots or fewer in their domain
or
  cookie_avoid_wrong_number_of_dots=<string> Number of dots to treat as too few in domains

> The RFC (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt) explains
[...]
> I assume that the option in question refers to differences between the
> domain of the server which is about to set a cookie on the computer of
> the internet user and the domain attribute inside the cookie.

I don't see any reason to assume that.

> Has anyone in Your team a suggestion for a-one-line description of
> this option? I delivered one in my bug report [1]. Tatsuya as the
> maintainer of the package w3m would as well appreciate Your help.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765068

Meanwhile in ja.po it's:

	"[wrong number of dots] を無視するドメイン"

(where the part in Japanese means something like "domains to ignore").
This doesn't seem helpful at all.