Re: New debconf template for webfs.

Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> fredag den 27 juni 2014 klockan 23:09 skrev Justin B Rye detta:
>>> Template: webfsd/web_index
[...]
>> After a couple of cycles of clarifying then squeezing I get this:
>>
>>   Template: webfsd/web_index
>>   Type: string
>>    If webfsd receives a request for a directory, it can optionally look for an
>>    index file to send to the client. Common names are "index.html" and
>>    "default.html". If you leave this field empty, webfsd will never treat any
>>    files as indexes for directories.
>
> Better:   ... , webfsd will never treat any file as index of a directory.

Oh, true, only one per.

> (I thought "indices" to be the correct plural form.)

It's often "one index, two indices" if you're talking about
mathematical superscripts or financial indicators, but it's always
"one index, two indexes" if you're talking about text lists like the
ones at the back of a reference book.

>>    In the absence of an index, webfsd will normally construct a listing for
>>    any requested directory. However, if you consider automatic directory
>>    listings a security risk they can be disabled by adding the server option
>>    '-j' in '/etc/webfsd.conf'.
>>
>> Is that still saying what we want it to say?
>
> We would want to express that '-j' can go into the variable 'web_extras'
> in the configuration file, or equally well be incorporated at the later
> debconf question 'webfsd/web_extras'. Unfortunately, at least in the ncurses
> interface, the debconf questions are not named or otherwise made distinct.

I hadn't noticed webfsd/web_extras!

> My wording would thus comes to this:
>
>   Template: webfsd/web_index
>   Type: string
>    If webfsd receives a request for a directory, it can optionally look for an
>    index file to send to the client. Common names are "index.html" and
>    "default.html". If you leave this field empty, webfsd will never treat any
>    file as index of a directory.
>   .
    ^
We've lost a leading space there, which would be a breach of Policy
5.6.13 bullet point 4 on inter-paragraph spaces!  But does that
actually apply to templates?  Now I go and look up the original
twentieth-century debconf spec it says "use . on a line by itself".
Still, space-stop is what we've been using.

>    In the absence of an index, webfsd will normally construct a listing for
>    any requested directory. However, if you consider an automatic directory
>    listing to present a security risk, then this can be disabled by adding
>    the server option '-j' to the variable 'web_extras' in '/etc/webfsd.conf'.
>
> By the way, is the switch from quotation characters to apostrophes
> worthy our attention?

Oops, no!  I'd just forgotten which direction debian-l10n-english
"house style" was standardising in - they should all be doublequotes.
Thanks for spotting that!