Re: opensmtpd 5.3.3p1-1: Please translate debconf PO for the package opensmtpd

Ryan Kavanagh wrote:
> It's been recommended that I pass my opensmtpd templates by you before
> having it translated. Could you please look over it and provide some
> feedback? You will find the templates file attached.

Sure!  Brace yourself, I'm setting pedantry levels up to 11.

> Template: opensmtpd/mailname
> Type: string
> Default:
>  The "mail name" is the domain name used to "qualify" _ALL_ mail addresses
>  without a domain name. This includes mail to and from <root>: please do not
>  make your machine send out mail from root@example.org unless root@example.org
>  has told you to. This mail name is also the default hostname used in the SMTP
>  greeting banner.

Do we really need the underlined shoutycaps (and indeed the
scarequotes)?  If you're going to use angle-brackets, shouldn't there
be angles round <root@example.org> too?

I suspect there's still room here for people to get confused over how
addresses without a domain name can have a domain name... couldn't we
make it clearer that "mail addresses without a domain name" means
"addresses for locally generated emails"?  (Does it in fact ever mean
anything else?)

When you say "This includes...", the "this" is pointing at something
that strictly speaking you haven't mentioned yet.

Mail to root isn't necessarily local, and if <root> indicates an email
address then clearly it hasn't been qualified with a mailname!

I don't see how the colon fits between those two clauses.

In fact, what's so special about <root@example.org> that isn't equally
applicable to <jrandomuser@example.org>?  And if I receive an email
with local part "root" and mailname "example.org" giving me
permission, does it matter who sent it?

The trouble with mentioning example.org here is that we want to be
able to use it later as an example valid FQDN, skating over the fact
that I don't have permission to use it...

On a different tack, we try to avoid making debconf interactions quite
this personal.  I don't see a way of doing this without at least one
second person pronoun, but we can get rid of the assumption that "you"
own the machine.

The mailname is the "default" hostname used in the SMTP greeting
banner?  Default in what sense?  (Also, demote this to a later
paragraph.)

>  .
>  This name will also be used by other programs. It should be a single,
>  fully qualified domain name (FQDN).

Shouldn't the paragraph split be halfway through this?

Do we need to say "single"?  Do people try to set it to a
comma-separated list?

>  .
>  Thus, if a mail address on the local host is foo@example.org,
>  the correct value for this option would be example.org.

There's something backwards about this.  And how is it an "option"?

You can probably persuade me that some of those criticisms are
unnecessary, but here's an attempted full rewrite:

   The "mail name" is used as the domain name in the email address for
   messages that only have a "local part" (such as <jrandomuser> or
   <root>). It should be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) that you are
   entitled to use.
   .
   For instance, to allow the local host to generate mail with addresses
   such as <jrandomuser@example.org>, set the system mail name to
   "example.org".
   .
   This mail name is used as the hostname in the SMTP greeting banner, and
   will also be used by other programs.

> Template: opensmtpd/root_address
> Type: string
> Default:
>  Mail for the 'postmaster', 'root', and other system accounts should
>  be redirected to the user account(s) of the actual system administrator(s).

The d-l-e house style is to use doublequotes.

I didn't even notice the use of "(s)" first time through, which is how
it should be.

>  .
>  Enter a comma-separated list of usernames to which this mail should go. Leave
>  this field blank to not create an alias for 'root'; in this case, the 'root'
>  account will receive mail destined to 'postmaster' and other system accounts,
>  assuming aliases for these accounts do not already exist.

First, let's add a "please".

Next quibble: mail doesn't go to usernames - it goes to users (or
maybe I should say user mailboxes).  Is there a fix that doesn't just
sound awkward?

"To not create" is technically a split infinitive, but I'm not sure if
even the people who believe that's a problem would care about this
case.

When you say "destined", I think you just mean "addressed".

Otherwise, I like it!

>  .
>  If you already have a /etc/aliases file, then you may need to add these
>  entries.

Unnecessarily personal.

What's the canonical pronunciation of "/etc/fstab"?  Is it "slash ee
tee cee slash eff ess tab", or "et-cetera-fuh-stab", or what?  There
doesn't seem to be a consensus, so it's usually a good idea to avoid
preceding things like this with "a/an".

Is this saying "if /etc/aliases already exists it won't be modified,
so you'll need to make any amendments yourself"?  If so, why "may"?
And come to that, why doesn't it check first?

A rewritten version:

   Mail for the "postmaster", "root", and other system accounts should be
   redirected to the user account(s) of the actual system administrator(s).
   .
   Please enter a comma-separated list of usernames of intended recipients.
   Leave this field blank to not create an alias for "root"; in this case,
   the root account will receive mail addressed to "postmaster" and other
   system accounts, assuming aliases for these accounts do not already
   exist.
   .
   If the file /etc/aliases already exists, these entries will need to be
   added to it manually.