Re: Description for ruby-mini-magick

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:07:58 +0100
Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> wrote:

> (First draft after getting in from a LUG meeting; I may have second
> thoughts in the morning.)
>
> meant to be at the mark!
>
> "Manipulation of images with minimal use of memory via ImageMagick" is
> 1) a bit long (for instance "with minimal use of memory", repeated in
> 	the long description, could be just "lightweight" here);
> 2) pedantically speaking it's less a description of this software, and
> 	more a description of what this software is for;
> 3) potentially ambiguous (maybe this is a stretch): if it's making
> 	minimal use of memory via ImageMagick, it might be achieving
> 	this by using a huge amount of memory via something else.  You
> 	could avoid this wilful misinterpretation by instead saying
> 	"manipulation of images via ImageMagick with minimal use of
> 	memory", or (better) by rephrasing it more thoroughly.
>
> It shouldn't be hard to avoid all those problems, but at the moment I
> can't decide between the various approaches:

> memory Description: lightweight API for ImageMagick image manipulation
>
> > [...] MiniMagick is a Ruby library providing a wrapper around
> > ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick, allowing manipulation of images with
> > minimal use of memory. MiniMagick gives access to all commandline
> > options provided by ImageMagick (found here:
> > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/mogrify.php).
> >
> > Is it ok in general? Is it better to leave the URL for mogrify or
> > remove it?
>
> It might benefit from an extra "the" between "all" and "commandline
> options", but on the whole it's good.  I would vote for dropping the
> bit in parentheses - after all, it's the job of the imagemagick
> package to provide pointers to that documentation, and it doesn't need
> to be the upstream copy - users can access mogrify(1) without needing
> to be online.

Hi,
thanks. Yes, the dividing line is there in the original. I must have
made and error while copying and pasting and not realized it.

I will go for this version

 MiniMagick is a Ruby library providing a wrapper around
 ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick, allowing manipulation of images with
 minimal use of memory. MiniMagick gives access to all the commandline
 options provided by ImageMagick.

To me it was good to have the link to mogrify in front of my eyes,
but i see the point.
The low memory gets compared with the memory usage of RMagick at some
sites. That made it more clear to me, but i was not able to express it
myself.

thanks again,
M.Tornow