Re: need help to make better description of ruby-locale

Hleb Valoshka wrote:
> I'm packaging ruby gem ruby-locate, there is its current description:

Ruby-LocaTe would be a different library!

(What no short-description line?)

>  Ruby-Locale is the pure Ruby library which provides basic APIs
>  for localization.

That's "a" pure Ruby library which provides "a" basic API for
localization, unless it really provides multiple APIs.

>  .
>  This library aims to support all environments which Ruby works and all kind of
>  programs (GUI, WWW, library, etc), and becomes the hub of other i18n/l10n
>  libs/apps to handle major locale ID standards.

I'm not sure how to parse that - probably it's:

   This library aims to
    * support all the environments [i.e. platforms?] that Ruby works
      in and [support] programs of all kinds (including GUI, WWW,
      library, etc.),
   and to
    * become the central thingummy for other i18n/l10n libraries and
      applications to handle major locale ID standards.

"Hub" to me makes it sound as if you want developers to end up going
in circles, but I'm not sure what word would fit better.  Central
core?  Linchpin?  Fulcrum?  Is the idea that Ruby-Locale works as a
literal communications hub for internationalised I/O, or is it just
that other software projects can organise themselves "around" this
library?

Also, I gather locale IDs are the tags you identify locales by, but
if it handles "major locale ID standards", doesn't that just mean it
handles "locales"?  And do you really need to mention locales at all
when you've already specified that you're talking about "i18n/l10n"
software?

So I would suggest:

   Ruby-Locale is a pure Ruby library which provides a basic API for
   localization.
   .
   It aims to support programs of every kind, from GUI applications to web
   libraries, on all the platforms that Ruby works on, and to provide a
   central hub for other i18n/l10n software.