Fwd: Improving imagemagick.bug-presubj

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>
> Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>
>> Could you help me and improve this bug-presubj message?
>
> Gladly, thanks.
>
> My first impression is that it gives _too much_ advice in multiple
> directions --- a bug reporter is typically looking for quick,
> straightforward instructions that will let them move on with life or
> lead to a fix.  So:
>
> [...]
>> When reporting imagemagick errors, please provide the actual
>> input files (images) and options given to the tool
>> (convert, mogrify, identify) at run time.
>>
>> This can mean the difference between a pleasant debugging experience
>> and a heisenbug that becomes unreproducible.
>
> I'd remove the above two paragraphs.  They are common sense and
> redundant next to item 6 below.

Thanks

>> Please notices, that imagemagick depends for converting some file
>> format on various package. These formats includes
>> svg, dots (graphviz), tiff, png, jpeg, wmf.
>
> I'd remove the above paragraph or replace it with a new item in the
> itemized list below.
>
>> Debugging imagemagick could be difficult and it is really helpful to
>> follow the following steps:
>
> Nice.  s/could/can/; s/it is really helpful to follow/you can help
> by following/.
>
>> 1. verify that you have installed imagemagick and not graphickmagick-compat:
>>    - run under a terminal: convert 2>&1 | grep -i GraphicsMagick
>>    - if you see graphicmagick on the output,
>>    please reportbug to graphickmagick
>
> s/under a terminal/in a terminal/
> s/graphicmagick/graphicsmagick/
> s/graphickmagick/graphicsmagick/
>
> The indentation in the line about the graphicsmagick is strange --- it
> would be easier to read formatted like this:
>
>   - if you see graphicsmagick in the output, please report against
>     the graphicsmagick package.
>
> Aside from that, sounds good.

Thanks will do

>> 2. install the imagemagick-dbg,libjpeg8-dbg,libwmf-bin,librsvg2-dbg,librsvg2-bin
>> and
>>    inkscape  package.
>
> This list is likely to go out of date quickly.  Is there some page
> in the Debian wiki about how to find -dbg packages corresponding to
> a particular executable?

Better I could recommand this package under imagemagick-dbg :)

2 install the imagemagick-dbg, as root run:
    apt-get install --install-suggest imagemagick-dbg

>> 3. Instead of running convert, mogrify, display or identify run
>>    convert.im6, mogrify.im6, display.im6 or identify.im6 directly.
>
> Good idea.  Missing comma before "run".
>
>> 4. if imagemagick coredump, could you please send a backtrace. See
>>    http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace to get it.
>
> s/coredump/dumps core/
> s/could you please send/please attach/
>
>> 5. if the input format is svg, run the following program:
>>    - rsvg-convert yourinput.svg > outrsvg.png
>>    - inkscape yourinput.svg --export-png=outputinkscape.png
>>    - join to your bug report outrsvg.png and outputinkscape.png
>
> s/join/attach/
>
>> 6. Document the exact command line used, and join the input files.
>
> s/join/attach/
>
> Thanks again for writing this.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan

Modified version:

Debugging imagemagick can be difficult and you can help
by following
1. verify that you have installed imagemagick and not graphicksmagick-compat:
   - in a terminal: convert 2>&1 | grep -i GraphicsMagick
   - if you see graphicsmagick on the output, please report
     against graphicsmagick package
2. install the imagemagick-dbg, as root run:
   apt-get install --install-suggest imagemagick-dbg
3. Instead of running convert, mogrify, display or identify, run
   convert.im6, mogrify.im6, display.im6 or identify.im6 directly.
4. if imagemagick dump core, please attach a backtrace. See
   http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace to get it.
5. if the input format is svg, run the following program:
   - rsvg-convert yourinput.svg > outrsvg.png
   - inkscape yourinput.svg --export-png=outputinkscape.png
   - attach to your bug report outrsvg.png and outputinkscape.png