Re: Request for review

Hi,

thanks for the review. I think some explanations are need before we can
settle on a final set of template. I will response in-line where I think
further discussion is needed. For everything else I will take you
suggestions verbatim.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 05:43:41PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:2001
> > msgid ""
> > "This package can create an appropriate initial configuration for a machine "
> > "that shall join an existing Condor pool, or configure a fully functional "
> > "\"personal condor\" installation by asking a few questions. The generated "
> > "initial configuration can be further extended later on. If this "
> > "configuration helper is undesired, Condor will be installed with a default "
> > "configuration that needs to be customized manually."
> > msgstr ""
>
> A peculiar use of shall, and clunky passive "is undesired".  Do I
> understand correctly that users should give the same answer here
> regardless of whether they want to set up a pool or personal
> installation?

Yes, this is true.

> (Oh, and I'm standardising on "personal Condor installation")

I think standardizing on 'Personal Condor' is more appropriate as this
exact term is used in Condor's documentation -- although admittedly not
in 100% of all cases.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:7001
> > msgid "User id domain:"
> > msgstr ""
>
> The "id" is always capitalised unless you're a psychologist.

How did you know? ;-)

> But what
> on earth is a "UID domain"?  How does a User ID (like "1000") have a
> domain (like "example.org")?

Hmm, so obviously the description below didn't do it for you, so it must
be lacking a key hint. UID domain in Condor is a hybrid. First, it is a
domain - something the condor sends e-mails to. But it also serves as a
label. If the domain(-label) is identical across two machines (say
submit and execute node) it assumes that UID 1000 on both machines actually
refers to the same human user.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:7001
> > msgid ""
> > "Condor uses this label to decide under which user account to run a "
> > "particular job. If the UID domain on the submitting machine is different "
> > "than the UID domain on the machine that runs your job, then Condor will "
> > "automatically run the job as a user 'nobody'. If the UID domain is "
> > "identical, Condor will run a job as the user that submitted the job. The UID "
> > "domain needs to be a real domain name. When Condor sends e-mail about a job, "
> > "it sends the e-mail to user@UID_DOMAIN. If this is left blank Condor will "
> > "run all job on this machine as 'nobody'."
> > msgstr ""
>
> s/different than/different from/, and (for consistency) s/e-mail/email/
>
> But I can't fix this yet because I don't understand it.  Is it asking
> for a local UID that Condor should run jobs for, or does it want a
> mail recipient domain so that it can send email to user@example.org,
> or a combination of the two, or what?

I hope the explanation above resolved this as well.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:7001
> > msgid ""
> > "Any domain format supported by Condor can be used, including macro "
> > "expressions. Example: $(FULL_HOSTNAME)"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (Unfortunately this means I don't get to see the example, so the
> concept of "UID domain" is still unclear to me.)

The example here is using FULL_HOSTNAME, which is a condor macro that
resolves to something that should be unique across machines, hence email
gets sent to the local machine and Condor does not attempt to run jobs
matching the users account that submitted them.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:8001
> > msgid "File system domain label:"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Ah, now this time reading the following I think I get it; it means
> something like
>   Domain-wide file system label:
> or
>   File system label for Condor domain:
>
> So maybe "UID domain" above means "User for Condor domain"?  No...
> it's still not making sense.  For a start you don't talk about Condor
> domains, only pools and clusters.

File system domain label is indeed similar but simpler. Here it is just
a label. When the label is identical, two machines are assumed to share
the file system that is relevant for job execution (e.g. with
NFS/AFS/...). If the label is different all data dependencies of a
particular job are moved to the respective execution node.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:8001
> > msgid ""
> > "This label is an arbitrary string that is used to decide if two machines (a "
> > "submitting machine and an execute machine) share the same file system. Note "
> > "that if you leave this parameter blank, Condor will automatically set the "
> > "value to be the fully qualified hostname of the local machine, and "
> > "consequently assume that any two machines don't share a file system. In a "
> > "dedicated cluster all machines will most likely use a shared file system and "
> > "hence should carry the same label."
> > msgstr ""
>
> If I'm understanding correctly, I think it might be simpler as:
>
>    This label is an arbitrary string that is used to decide if a submitting
>    machine and an execute machine share the same file system. In a dedicated
>    cluster all machines will most likely use a shared file system and hence
>    should use the same label. If left blank, it will automatically be set to
>    the fully qualified hostname of the local machine, which will prevent
>    Condor assuming that any two machines share a file system.

I should have read further before responding -- this is exactly right.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:8001
> > msgid "Example: my_super_computer"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (Would you really use a label like that, or would you be more likely
> to use something like "my_shared_volume"?)

I agree, this is better.

> > #. Type: string
> > #. Description
> > #: ../condor.templates:11001
> > msgid ""
> > "All machines that shall participate in the Condor pool need to be listed "
> > "here. This setting can be a plain list, a domain with wildcards or a macro "
> > "expression. By default only the localhost is allows to access Condor daemons "
> > "on this machine."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Bad "shall", an opportunity for a serial comma, and a malformed
> passive.
>
>    All machines that are to participate in the Condor pool need to be listed
>    here. This setting can be a plain list, a domain with wildcards, or a macro
>    expression. By default only localhost is allowed to access Condor daemons
>    on this machine.
>
> (Shouldn't "plain list" be "plain comma-separated list" or whatever?)

Yes, true.

> --
> JBR	with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
> 	sysadmin

Thanks a lot for this detailed review, and for sending it so quickly. I
have to say that every time I go through this review process with a new
package I'm amazed how efficient and helpful it is -- a very valuable
resource. Thanks again!

Michael

PS: Thanks also to Christian for sending these useful reminders to
actually ask for a review!

--
Michael Hanke
http://mih.voxindeserto.de