Re: kismet 2011.03.R2-1: Please review debconf PO/control for the package kismet

2012/11/7 Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk>:
> Nick Andrik wrote:
>> Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk>:
>>>    Kismet needs root privileges for some of its functions. To minimize
>>>    the amount of code that runs with elevated privileges (and reduce the
>>>    risk of bugs doing system-wide damage) it is recommended to install
>>>    Kismet with the "setuid" bit set, which will allow it to grant these
>>>    privileges automatically to the processes that need them, excluding
>>>    the user interface and packet decoding parts.
>>>
>>> (This leaves unstated the alternative of getting root "manually".)
>>
>> Do you think we should specify that? Then we should say something like:
>>   If you decide not to use setuid, then you will have to run kismet as
>> root (e.g. sudo kismet)
>
> Reading it again, yes, we should probably have some mention of that,
> but I'd prefer not to add it at the end - maybe:
>
>  Kismet needs root privileges for some of its functions. However, running it
>  as root ("sudo kismet") is not recommended, since running all of the code
>  with elevated privileges increases the risk of bugs doing system-wide
>  damage. Instead Kismet can be installed with the "setuid" bit set, which
>  will allow it to grant these privileges automatically to the processes that
>  need them, excluding the user interface and packet decoding parts.
>
> [...]
>> I would propose something like this:
>>
>>   For more detailed information, see section 4 of the Kismet README
>>   ("Suidroot & Security"), which can be found at:
>>   http://www.kismetwireless.net/README or
>>   /usr/share/doc/kismet/README
>
> Fair enough, we've got room.  (I don't like the colon, though.)

OK, I like it better this way now

>>> This is all okay - I've just edited it to match the standard
>>> debian-l10n-english "stylesheet", with double quotes and single-spaced
>>> sentences.
>>
>> Now that I see it, I guess we should replace "laptops" with "computers", no?
>>   Most users running Kismet on personal computers should install it as setuid.
>
> Do you mean "(Desktop) PCs" or "computers that are personal"?  Saying
> "personal computers" makes it sound as if you *don't* mean to
> include laptops (or palmtops and so on), but form factor isn't the
> issue here; the question is just whether it's a single-user system.

I mean personal (not multiuser) computers.
BTW, I thought computers included laptops, but OK.

> But what's unsafe about making it setuid on a multi-user system,
> anyway?  Even if I don't trust my little brother, the argument
> against "sudo kismet" is still valid, which implies that kismet
> should still be installed with the setuid bit set - we should just
> be warning against letting untrusted users in the kismet group!

Agreed, I also cannot see why setuid with group permissions can be any
insecure at all (or at least more insecure than ssudo), so maybe we
could get the warning out?

> So I would suggest:
>
>  .
>  Enabling this feature allows users in the "kismet" group to run Kismet
>  (and capture packets, change wireless card state, etc), so only thoroughly
>  trusted users should be granted membership of the group.
>  .
>  For more detailed information, see section 4 of the Kismet README
>  ("Suidroot & Security"), which can be found at
>  /usr/share/doc/kismet/README or "http://www.kismetwireless.net/README";.

>>> Ah, slightly improved phrasing from the Squeeze version.  But
>>>  * no need to capitalise "Wireless";
>>>  * in principle the old "...monitoring tool" synopsis had better
>>>    DevRef compliance (as a noun phrase describing the package), but
>>>    this works well enough;
>>
>> That is "wireless sniffer and monitor". Do you think it'd be better?
>
> I'm always cautious around the word "monitor", since of course it's
> also a piece of hardware.  But maybe that does work.  Okay, why not.
> (Oops, and I had left kismet-plugins with a capitalised synopsis;
> fixed now.)

We can keep the sniffer like this and change the monitor to monitoring?
I don't have a problem for any case, I just what to convey the message

>>>  * I'd say "layer-2" (possibly even "layer two");
>>>  * we're standardising on single-spaced sentences;
>>>  * it needs a comma after "mode" to make it clear that "can sniff" is
>>>    syntactically parallel to "work", not "supports" (it isn't saying
>>>    "any card that supports foo and can sniff bar and baz");
>>>  * you've updated the old blurb that only said it could do 802.11b,
>>>    but the README says it can do 802.11n, too!  (Also, why list
>>>    802.11b before 802.11a?)
>>>
>>> So I've got:

>>>    Kismet is an 802.11 layer-2 wireless network detector, sniffer, and
>>>    intrusion detection system. It will work with any wireless card that
>>>    supports raw monitoring (rfmon) mode, and can sniff 802.11a, 802.11b,
>>>    802.11g, and 802.11n traffic.
>>
>> Isn't there a way to group the protocols like 802.11abgn or it seems
>> too technical?
>> I saw this kind of presentation for supported protocols of wireless cards.
>
> Wifi hardware manufacturers certainly use codes like 802.11abg to
> label multi-mode devices, but in principle a new amended standard
> might come out with a name like 802.11ag, so I would feel safer

> using "802.11a/b/g/n".

Actually there is no such case, check from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#In_process
To reduce confusion, no standard or task group was named 802.11l,
802.11o, 802.11q, 802.11x, 802.11ab, or 802.11ag.

But I like a/b/g/n anyway

>>>  * I'm not convinced "speak out" works as a transitive verb like
>>>    this, though it's hard to find an alternative;
>
> I've worked out what the alternative was: "read out" (or "read
> aloud").
>
> Revised version attached.
>
> Oh, I forgot to add my traditional Why The Name footnote.  README
> §18 says: "I really just [...] clicked through a thesaurus until I
> found a word that wasn't used in any other OSS projects".

I understood nothing at all here, elaborate please :D