Re: Request for Review: APT manpages

Ben Finney wrote:
> David Kalnischkies writes:
>> Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:
>>>      <refpurpose>Distribution definitions for APT</refpurpose>

On second thoughts this is rubbish.

>> Maybe
>> <refpurpose>List of sources to acquire package information from</refpurpose>
>> ?
>
> The established term for these is “repository”, I think.

I'm not convinced; do users really think of that term as covering
CD-sets or unstructured directories like file:/home/jbr/debs?  If my
sources.list contains only an unstable "deb" line and a corresponding
"deb-src" line, how many repositories is that?  Whatever the answer
is, I don't think it's obvious enough for the term to be helpful.

>     <refpurpose>Definitions for package repositories</refpurpose>
>
> The common meaning of “repository” is understood well enough that
> “package repository” communicates the meaning correctly, I think.

As apropos output, this would imply that the file has entries that
define what squeeze-backports and debian-multimedia are.  Readers
would probably expect that to mean that it documents which codename
maps to stable, and so on; they would also be likely to misinterpret
it as meaning that the man page itself contains these definitions.

Instead what sources.list contains is APT resource formulae.  I think
David's right to abandon the search for a self-explanatory jargon term
and just spell it out; "List of sources to acquire package information
from" does a pretty good job of saying what's in it while also making
it sound reasonable that the file is called "sources.list"!

Just fiddling with it slightly, how about one of these:

 <refpurpose>List of sources for package information</refpurpose>
 <refpurpose>List of package information sources for APT</refpurpose>
 <refpurpose>List of configured APT data sources</refpurpose>