Re: Request for Review: APT manpages

David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:

>>  following naming convention: the extension is "<literal>pref</literal>"
>>  or nothing and filenames contain only alphanumeric, hyphen (-),
>>  underscore (_) and period (.) characters.
>
> "the extension is nothing" sounds equally strange to my ears.

'the extension is "<literal>pref</literal>" or absent', maybe?

Though Unix does not have a concept of filename extensions like DOS
does.  It might be even clearer to say something like 'the filename
either ends with <literal>.pref</literal> or contains no period (.)
characters' to avoid ambiguity.

Just my 2¢,
Jonathan