Re: Updated maint-guide contents, question on style

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Thanks.  After I apply this, I will suffle

Shuffle?  Snuffle?  Suffer?

> By the way, what style book do you follow.  I once read IBM style book
> downloaded from their web.
>
> IBM_Style_27Apr09.pdf URL was:(This is no more available)
>  http://www.ibm.com/software/ucd/files/IBM_Style_27Apr09.pdf
> It recommended sentense with period etc. for easier
> internationalization.  A bit different POV than other style book.
> There are many style guide but I can not find good one for the free software
> documentation with some care to the internationalization etc.

I'm not sure what feature you're describing when you there when you
mention sentences.

When I'm writing in en_GB I don't follow any particular style guide at
all, since my habits already seem to follow most of the rules I see
listed in British manuals, apart from the intricate and irrelevant
ones about bibliographic citations.

For en_US... well, the most commonly accepted standard is the Chicago
Manual of Style, which isn't freely available, but it's usually easy
enough to find out what it says about any given issue (for instance
see "http://www.docstyles.com/cmscrib.htm";).

There are a few things I insist on doing contrary to the established
consensus in US style manuals, though; for a start like most writers
in the fields of either linguistics or IT (and like Wikipedia's own
Manual of Style), I insist on "logical" placement of quotation
marks - "like this", never "like this."