Re: Review neded! Debian Birthday announcement to be sent out really soon... Sorry.

Le 2011-08-15 16:25, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl a écrit :
Hi!

Uhm... I know, it's quite a short hand notice, by suddenly Debian's
Birthday is coming up, and we should send a small announcement about
that out.  I drafted something really quick, probably in en_DE with to
many exclamation marks.  So please, please, please, take a look at
svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/publicity/announcements/en/2011/2011-08-16-debian-birthday.txt
and see, if you can somehow repair it.  We should really send it out
tomorrow morning, so I fear we don't have much time left.
Thank you Alexander. Here are my remarks:

There have been eleven releases - most recently<a href="$(HOME)News/2011/20110205a">
Debian 6.0 "Squeeze"</a>  in February 2011 - and a huge amount of pre-packaged free software.
This doesn't parse very well - "There has been a huge amount of pre-packaged free software." ?
Maybe "There has been a huge amount of free software packaged." ?

Beside more than 1000 Debian Developers and
Maintainers from all over the globe, there are in excess of 11,000 registered accounts for
the<a href="http://alioth.debian.org/";>Alioth collaboration platform</a>, and that
doesn't even include all those people contributing with translations or bug reports (and
sometimes patches for them) and all those users helping others via our
mailing lists, forums and IRC channels.
Alioth is run *by* the Debian project, but not only *for* Debian, so the number of users is not really relevant to Debian. Also, this is inexact as lots of people contributing translations, issue reports and user support are registered on Alioth.

Across the world today, Debian Developers, Maintainers, Contributors and Users
with small conferences, with virtual parties, and even
with parties in real life.
There is no need to capitalize the classes of people (developers, maintainers, contributors, etc.)

The Debian Project continues to welcome contributions in all forms,
from users to developers, encouraging people to download, use, modify,
and distribute its source code in the hopes that it is useful.
There is no scale starting with users and ending with developers; developers are users. If I understand correctly the intended meaning, I would say "continues to welcome contributions in all forms and from everyone, software developers or not, [...]". If we encourage people to use the source code, we could encourage them to simply use the product as well.