Re: [RFR] templates://haserl/{haserl.templates}

Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> [...]
>> I like it, but as usual I'm mangling almost every line.
>>  * I'm not keen on "a UNIX bash-like shell" (as opposed to a Windows
>>    bash-like shell?);
>
> Thanks for bringing this up. I think POSIX-compliant shell would be more
> accurate, as it works with /bin/sh, and does not rely on any bashisms.

Fair enough.

>>  * "All text [...] are passed" should be "is";
>
> I'm pretty sure it's "All text ... are", since "All text within blah constructs"
> is plural. I'm reverting that change.

No, seriously, it's singular.

"Text" in this sense *has* no plural - it's a "non-count noun" (like
"water" or "advice" or "software") that means "some arbitrary quantity
of non-binary data" (oh, "data" - that's another one, at least in
post-1950s English).  There's also a count-noun sense of "text"
meaning "a complete body of written material" (as in "several literary
texts"), but that's not what's meant here.  If it was, for a start it
would say "all texts", not "all text".

(Oh, and at this point I'm serendipitously reminded by my phone that
there's another pluralisable sense: "texts" meaning "text messages"!)

[...]
>> Obligatory Why-The-Name Appendix: Haserl is just a German dialect word
>> for "bunny", which seems fairly random...
>
> Actually, as ripped from the NAME section of the manpage:
>> The name "haserl" comes from the Bavarian word for "bunny." At first glance
>> it may be small and cute, but haserl is more like the bunny from Monty Python
>> & The Holy Grail. In the words of Tim the Wizard, That's the most foul, cruel
>> & bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
>>
>> Haserl can be thought of the cgi equivalent to netcat. Both are small,
>> powerful, and have very little in the way of extra features. Like netcat,
>> haserl attempts to do its job with the least amount of extra "fluff".

It's called "bunny" because it's not fluffy?  That seems a stretch...
it doesn't matter, though.