Re: Minor package description issues

Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:
> Package: libqtscript4-gui (0.1.0-2)

Maybe it should be against the qtscriptgenerator source-package?

[...]
> The most important one are the descriptions of the libqtscript4-xxx bindings packages.
> The last two sentences are always the same. Making a paragraph of its own eases the
> translation work. Translators translate the paragraph once and can reuse it. The attached
> patch splits these descriptions.
>
> Package:libqtscript4-qtbindings
>  This metapackage depends on all modules of the Qt Script bindings that are
>  currently provided for Qt 4 application and UI framework.
>  .
>  Qt Script is a scripting language based on the ECMAScript standard. Qt Script
>  bindings allow to get access to substantial portions of the Qt API from within
>  this scripting language.
>
> I've encountered lots of  of descriptions with the paragraphs ordered the other way:
> general information first. Perhaps it is also a good idea to have the introductory
> text in each description.
>
> And the last one is quite wide-spread: If I (1) is correct and I understand it the right
> way, there is only one binding per library.
>
> In computing, a binding from a programming language to a library or OS service
> is an API providing that service in the language.
>
> So
> s/contains Qt Script bindings/contains the Qt Script binding/
> and
> s/These bindings were/This binding was/
> would have to be applied to the xxx bindings descriptions.

That sounds odd, but I recognise the logic, and at least some
native-anglophone programmers do seem to regard it as correct...

> Actually the package contains only one library  (2).

I see nothing in the current version that would imply otherwise.

[...]

There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty in the documentation
about whether it's "Qt Script 4", "QtScript4", "Qt 4 Script", or what.
I would ask http://www.qtsoftware.com, but that just redirects to a
shoppingcart that doesn't recognise any of these product names.

[...]
> + This package contains Qt Script bindings for the Qt 4 Core library.
> + .
> + You should install this package if you need to access functionality of
                                                         ^the
> + this library from within Qt Script. These bindings were generated with
> + the Qt Script Generator tool.

I would agree that boilerplate then specifics would be more sensible,
but I'm not keen on this boilerplate; it seems to use a lot of words
to say that you should install this package if its installation is
necessary, instead of making it clear what it's useful for.  And why
do we care that they were generated with the Qt Script Generator tool?

How about just:

    Qt Script is a scripting language based on the ECMAScript standard, with
    bindings that give access to substantial portions of the Qt 4 API.
    .
    This package contains bindings for the Qt 4 Core library.

(Varying the last line to match the package.)

[...]
>  Package: libqtscript4-doc
[...]

Do we really need to say "Qt 4 Qt"?

> + This package contains the API reference of the Qt 4 Qt Script bindings and
> + a few script examples. The Documentation is provided in HTML format.
>   .
>   Qt Script is a scripting language based on the ECMAScript standard. Qt Script
>   bindings allow to get access to substantial portions of the Qt API from within

Our old friend (http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/linux/esl.html#b1)
"allow to" - you'd filtered it out in all the others...

This one could be:

    Qt Script is a scripting language based on the ECMAScript standard, with
    bindings that give access to substantial portions of the Qt 4 API.
    .
    This package contains the API reference of the Qt Script bindings (in HTML
    format) and a few script examples.