Re: Description for libvdeplug2

Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:
>  VDE is a virtual switch that can connect multiple virtual machines together,
>  both local and remote.
>  .
>  Components of the VDE architecture are VDE switches (virtual counterpart of
>  ethernet switches) and VDE cables (virtual counterpart of a crossed-cable used
>  to connect two switches).
>  .
>  This package contains a library that makes programs able to connect to a local
>  VDE switch. The simplest one is vde_plug, contained in the vde2 package.

Two extra bulletpoints for you:
 * s/crossed-cable/crossover cable/
 * s/ethernet/Ethernet/g

> * I don't know how to translate plug here.

vde_plug(1) says "A vde_plug is a plug to be connected into a VDE
switch.  All the data that is catched[sic]  by  the plug is written in
its stdout and everything from stdin is injected in the switch."  Since
"Virtual Distributed Ethernet - Plug" is functioning as an expansion
of the name I would be inclined to leave it (but subtract the dash).

> * Is together really necessary?

No, though it might be less obtrusive if it was differently placed
("connect together multiple virtual machines").

> * What is right: virtual counterpart or virtual counterparts?

That depends whether we're saying "all VDE switches are the virtual
counterparts of Ethernet switches" or "the concept of VDE switches is
the virtual counterpart of the concept of Ethernet switches"... I
think it can get away with it given that it's in parentheses (where
slightly compressed phrasings are expected).

But does it really mean anything as specific as "counterpart"?  My own
suggestion below tries to boil this paragraph down a little.

> * "that makes programs able" I consider unfortunate.

It could be worse - I was half expecting "this software allows to
connect"!  But yes, it's hardly graceful.

> My suggestion:

>  VDE is an ethernet compliant virtual network that can connect multiple
>  virtual machines, both local and remote.
>  .
>  Components of the VDE architecture are VDE switches (virtual counterpart of
>  ethernet switches) and VDE cables (virtual counterpart of a crossed-cable used
>  to connect two switches).

Simplified version:

   The VDE architecture provides virtual equivalents of Ethernet switches
   and crossover cables.

>  .
>  This package contains a library enables programs to connect to a local
>  VDE switch. The simplest one is vde_plug, contained in the vde2 package.

s/enables/enabling/.  But more importantly, what does "the simplest
one" refer to?  It can't mean "the simplest local VDE switch", but in
fact I assumed it was talking about libraries until I went to the
trouble of checking the packages' file lists... so I'd suggest:

   This package contains a library to let programs connect to a local VDE
   switch. The simplest such program is vde_plug, in the vde2 package.