Re: [RFC] New bacula templates

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 06:24:19PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > Template: bacula-fd/password
> > Type: password
>                                  ^
> The .deb and the executable are all lowercase, but the system as a
> whole is "Bacula", so it should probably be titlecased here.  It
> would also be helpful if this password was described in a way that
> couldn't be misunderstood as referring to the following one - maybe:

> >  To be able to connect to this daemon a password needs to be set. Please
> >  provide one here.
>
> Grammar pedants will say this means that it's the password that
> connects to the daemon; shut them up with:
>
>    For clients to be able to connect to this daemon a password needs to be set.
>    Please provide one here.
>
> Or more simply:
>
>    Please specify a password to allow clients to connect to the Bacula
>    file daemon.
>
> >  .
> >  If you leave the field empty, no password will be set. On new installations
> >  the daemon will then be deactivated to make sure the daemon is not started
> >  without a password.
> >
> > Template: bacula-fd/mon-password
> > Type: password
>                                  ^
> This makes it sound as if it's a password that gives something-or-other access
> to the monitor.  Should it be:

> >  Restricted access can also be established to this daemon (for instance from
> >  the bacula-tray-monitor util). For that a password needs to be set. Please
> >  provide one here.
>
> I'm not keen on the "also" (as well as what?) or the abbreviation
> "util" (uncommon in the singular).

As well as regular access, restricted access can also ... That was what
I meant.

> This phrasing makes it sound as if bacula-tray-monitor was a way of
> restricting access to the Bacula file daemon.  Presumably you want
> something more like:
>
>    Please specify a password to allow monitoring utilities such as
>    the bacula-tray-monitor to connect to the Bacula file daemon.

Better, obviously.

> >  .
> >  If you leave the field empty, no password will be set. On new installation the
>                                                                              ^s
> >  daemon will then be deactivated to make sure the daemon is not started without
> >  a password.
>
> Missing S.  Does it really cripple the daemon unless you set *both*
> passwords?

Interesting case actually. I don't know. I'll investigate.

Thank you very much, Justin. Perfect and fast review, as usual. I'm
gonna take everything, to go please...

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de