Re: please review new cryptsetup template

Hello,

On 24/05/2011 Justin B Rye wrote:
> Christian PERRIER wrote:
> >  Some unlocked dm-crypt devices (${cryptmap}) are in use on this system.
>
> If ${cryptmap} expands to a plain whitespace-separated list it's less
> ugly to move it to the end.  And here's a shorter way of avoiding
> second person:
>
>    This system has unlocked dm-crypt devices: ${cryptmap}
>
> >  .
> >  If these devices are managed with cryptsetup, you might be unable to
> >  lock the devices after the package removal, though other tools can be
> >  used for managing dm-crypt devices. As a consequence, any further
> >  system shutdown or reboot is likely to lock the devices.
>
> You've lost the tools for locking them, and *therefore* a reboot will
> lock them?  That sounds more like a "however".  I'd suggest reverting
> it slightly to just:
>
>    Any system shutdown or reboot will lock the devices.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I simply adopted the template changes
suggested by Justin B Rye.

Though, I've few comments regarding the proposed description changes:

> >> Package: cryptsetup
> [...]
> >
> > "encrypted devices management tools"?
> >
> > A verb sentence is discouraged in synopsis. Better use a noun phrase.
> >
> > I'm unsure whether crypsetup provides tools for general encrypted
> > devices management or only tools to set them up, but you get the point.
>
> It seems to me that all this talk of devices is more abstract and
> technical than there's any call for in a synopsis.  Users searching
> for cryptsetup aren't necessarily thinking in terms of needing to
> configure a device - they're more likely to be looking for a way to
> "lock my home directory"...
>
> I won't try to dumb it all the way down to that level, but maybe we
> could use something like:

> (And then of course "- library", "- development files", etc.  The word
> "commandline" is promoted out of the description, thus allowing us not
> to use that word in the description for the library etc.)

Great idea, adopted it. Thanks again.

> >>  Cryptsetup provides a command-line interface for configuring encrypted
> >>  devices. This is done using the Linux kernel device mapper target
> >>  dm-crypt. This version of cryptsetup has integrated support for LUKS.
>
> It doesn't configure devices which are encrypted, it sets up
> encryption on devices.  Meanwhile we've lost "block devices" in the
> synopsis, but here there's room for all that plus a parenthesised
> outbreak of handholding.
>
>   Cryptsetup provides an interface for configuring encryption on block
>   devices (such as /home or swap partitions), using the Linux kernel
>   device mapper target dm-crypt.

Same here.

> I've demoted the bit about LUKS into the second paragraph on suspicion
> of being stale news about an implementation detail.

Not sure about that one. The LUKS support is a major feature of
cryptsetup, and this information is important for the shared library as
well.

> >>  .
> >>  cryptsetup is backwards compatible with the on-disk format of cryptoloop,
> >>  but also supports more secure formats. This package includes support for
> >>  automatically configuring encrypted devices at boot time via the config
> >>  file /etc/crypttab. Additional features are cryptoroot support through
> >>  initramfs-tools and several supported ways to read a passphrase or key.
> >
> > Maybe avoid the leading lowercase in 2nd paragraph, which always looks
> > ugly. Otherwise, no comment.
>
> It's especially odd given that the first para had "Cryptsetup".  We
> might as well say "It".
>
> I spent a while trying to turn this into a bulleted list, but on
> second thoughts the original format is fine.
>
>     It features integrated LUKS (Linux Unified Key Setup) support, and is
>     backwards compatible with the on-disk format of cryptoloop, but also
>     supports more secure formats. This package includes support for
>     automatically configuring encrypted devices at boot time via the config
>     file /etc/crypttab. Additional features are cryptoroot support through
>     initramfs-tools and several supported ways to read a passphrase or key.
>
> (Or would it make more sense to mention LUKS alongside the "more secure
> formats"?)

Yes. Your suggestion sounds like if cryptsetup supports more secure
formats than LUKS. And that's definitelly wrong. LUKS is _the_ more
secure format supported by cryptsetup.

Here's my suggestion:

 Cryptsetup provides an interface for configuring encryption on block
 devices (such as /home or swap partitions), using the Linux kernel
 device mapper target dm-crypt. It features integrated Linux Unified Key
 Setup (LUKS) support.
 .
 Cryptsetup is backwards compatible with the on-disk format of cryptoloop,
 but also supports more secure formats. This package includes support for
 automatically configuring encrypted devices at boot time via the config
 file /etc/crypttab. Additional features are cryptoroot support through
 initramfs-tools and several supported ways to read a passphrase or key.

Greetings,
 jonas