Re: Debian Project News 2011/01 frozen. Please review and translate

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>>on January 12 2011</a>.
> There should be a comma between "January 12" and "2011" (or just no
> 2011...).

I've dropped the year.

>>Proposal 5, specifing a machine-readable

> s/specifing/specifying/

Done.

>>Mehdi
>>Dogguy</a>, who became a member of Debian's Release team even though he's
>>been a Debian Developer for barely a year
>
> I personally wonder what the role of the "even though" is. Did the
> author think the release team is accepting people with too little
> experience? In my opinion, it's good to recruit more, this reduces
> the risk of manpower shortage.

I read it as "wow, well done", but I can see how you get the "gasp of
horror" interpretation.  I've changed it to "became a member of
Debian's Release team barely a year after first becoming a Debian
Developer", which I hope is less misleading.

>>Rapha&euml;l Herzog</a>.
> s/Herzog/Hertzog/

I *never* spot that.  I was too busy thinking about "Reverse People
Behind Debian" ("People In Front Of Debian"?) and whether it should be
"People Behind 'People Behind Debian'"...

>>Kumar Appaiah<a
>>href="http://www.debian-administration.org/users/kumanna/weblog/13";>noted</a>
>>that<a href="http://duckduckgo.com/";>DuckDuckGo</a>  has set up
>>some shortcuts (the so called !bang) for searching in various Debian sites:
>><tt>!dpkg</tt>  goes to<a
>>goes to<a href="http://packages.qa.debian.org";>packages.qa.debian.org</a>, and
>
> DuckDuckGo?... I think it would clarify to mention that DuckDuckGo
> is a search engine.

And there are spaces between Duck and Duck and Duck and Go (except
when it's the URL, when it's all lowercase).

Now that I've looked it up: s/so called !bang/so-called !bangs/

>>Sandro Tosi mentioned on his blog that<a
>>href="http://sandrotosi.blogspot.com/2010/12/bts-link-has-new-home.html";>bts-link
>>has a new home</a>. Several weeks ago, in fact,<a
>>href="http://bts-link.alioth.debian.org/";>bts-link</a>  was migrated from
>>merkel.debian.org to busoni.debian.org.
> With all the respect due to bts-link, this item doesn't make it
> clear why this server move is newsworthy.

I suspect "to busoni.debian.org, giving it much faster access to BTS
data", but does anybody know details?

>>5 applicants have been
>>	as Debian Developers,
>>1 applicant has been
>>	as Debian Maintainer, and
>>12 people have<a href="http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi";>started
>>         to maintain packages</a>  since the previous issue of the Debian
>>	Project News. Please welcome
>>Didier Raboud, Benjamin Drung, K&aring;re Thor Olsen, Scott James Remnant, Jerome Marant,
>>Gregor Jasny,
>>Gildardo Adrian Maravilla Jacome, Cristian Henzel, Colin Darie, Anton Gladky, Lukas Gaertner, Yask Gupta, Michael Lustfield, Pjotr Prins, Monica Ramirez Arceda, Tim Weippert, Milan Kupcevic, and Sven Eckelmann
>>	into our project!
>
> The way people are listed is odd. If people are welcomed to the
> Debian project when becoming DM-s and also when they prepare their
> first package, that means they're presumably being welcomed twice.
> For me, welcoming someone to the project means that person is new in
> the project, so you can't welcome twice. Also, is everyone starting
> to maintain packages in the list or is there a selection? For
> example, I wonder what would happen if I was to get into packaging,
> would I be "welcomed" to the project?...
>
> I would suggest to congratulate or thank these people instead.

And I recognise at least one of those names as a "welcome back"!  It
would make sense to "welcome" new members and "congratulate"
first-time contributors, but when they're all mixed into one group I
don't think there's a good single word for it.  Maybe it should just
tell us to throw our hats in the air for them.  Probably not.
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
Illartinngitsuursinnaanngilai "He couldn't help making them laugh"