Re: [RFR] templates://virtuoso-opensource/{virtuoso-opensource-6.1.templates,l ibvirtodbc0.templates}

Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):
>>  + OpenLink Virtuoso is a high-performance object-relational SQL database.
>
> Isn't a database the place where data are stored.....and software that
> manage databases being "database management software" (DBMS, most of
> the time being "R" for "Relational")?
>
> In French l10n, we always use "*gestionnaire* de bases de données" and
> not only "base de données" when it comes at talking about MySQL and
> the like...

Hmm.  Yes, "database" gets used to mean
 * an individual file in .db or .odbm or some such format;
 * a relational data structure made up of tables;
 * a body of information that happens to be stored in such tables;
 * a daemon process providing access to such information;
 * software packages of such software;
and there are probably even people who use it to mean:
 * hardware designed to run such software.
So probably there ought to be a more technical term like RDBMS in
there somewhere.

However, the word "database" has to be in there somewere, and if I'm
taking it out of the synopsis then there aren't very many other
places for it to go...
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)