Re: Request for review, geoip-database-contrib

Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> I would appreciate if a native English speaker could have a look at the
> descrition [1] and debconf question [2] of the geoip-database-contrib
> package, before I send out a call for translations, please.
>
> [1]
> http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/geoip-database-contrib.git;a=blob;f=debian/control
> [2]
> http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/geoip-database-contrib.git;a=blob;f=debian/templates

I don't speak VCS, so I used the web interface to get the files
reviewed below - let me know if that's mangled anything.

> Source: geoip-database-contrib
> Section: contrib/net
> Maintainer: Ludovico Cavedon <cavedon@debian.org>
> Uploaders: Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org>
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.50~)
> Standards-Version: 3.9.1
> Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/ip-location
> Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/geoip-database-contrib.git
>  Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/geoip-database-contrib.git
>
>  Package: geoip-database-contrib
>  Architecture: all
>  Depends: wget, ucf (>= 0.28), ${misc:Depends}
>  Suggests: cron
>  Provides: geoip-database
>  Replaces: geoip-database
>  Conflicts: geoip-database

MaxMind GeoLite being the proprietary upstream source, okay.  I'd
suggest a less awkward way of phrasing it if I could find one.

>   GeoIP is a C library that enables the user to find the country that any IP
>   address or hostname originates from. It uses a file-based database.

(Same as the existing geoip packages)

>   .
>   This package contains a script that downloads the latest version of the binary
>   flavour of the MaxMind GeoLite databases. In particular:
>    - GeoLite Country
>    - GeoLite Country IPv6
>    - GeoLite City
>    - GeoLite ASN

If you drop the redundant repetition of the brandname there's hardly
enough here to justify a bulleted list.  How about:

    This package contains a script that downloads the latest version of the binary
    flavor of the four MaxMind GeoLite databases (Country, IPv6 Country, City, and
    ASN).

(Also standardising on the en_US flavour of "flavor".)

>   .
>   This database simply contains IP blocks as keys, and countries/cities/ASNs as
>   values and it should be more complete and accurate than using reverse DNS
>   lookups.

Unless you're thinking of all of them as forming one combined
database, that's "these databases".  The "...and" is what style
guides call a run-on sentence; split it into two, or perhaps do this:

    These databases simply contain IP blocks as keys, and countries/cities/ASNs as
    values, which should be more complete and accurate than using reverse DNS
    lookups.

>   .
>   The MaxMind database itself is distributed under a BSD-like license. However
>   it is made available directly in binary format and the source code for
>   generating it is not provided.

This is okay, but for no obvious reason I like it better with the
synonyms swapped:

    The MaxMind database itself is made available under a BSD-like license.
    However, it is distributed directly in binary format and the source code for
    generating it is not provided.

(Also adding a comma.)

Next the template:

> Template: geoip-database-contrib/install-cronjob
> Type: boolean
> Default: true
>  The GeoLite database is updated monthly on MaxMind website. If you choose to
                                             ^the
>  automatically update the local copy of the database, a cron script will be
>  installed to download the new version from the Internet on 10th of every month.
                                                             ^the

   The GeoLite database on the MaxMind website is updated monthly. If you choose to
   automatically update the local copy of the database, a cron script will be
   installed to download the new version from the Internet on the tenth of every
   month.

>  .
>  If you choose not to update the database automatically, you can do it by hand
>  by running the command geoip-database-contrib_update as root.

That looks okay.