Re: request for feedback regarding package description

Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Package: dbmail
> Architecture: any
> Pre-Depends: adduser
> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}, ucf (>= 0.30), debconf (>=
> 0.5) | debconf-2.0
> Provides: imap-server, pop3-server
> Suggests: dbmail-pgsql | dbmail-mysql, sqlite3

What no "Homepage:"?

 * Is it an MTA?
 * s/sql/SQL/
 * Useless use of "based"
 * Google says: "Did you mean: mail storage"

How about:

>  DBMAIL is a collection of programs that allows both users and email to
>  be stored in and retrieved from a relational database.
>  .
>  It supports MySQL, PostgreSQL and Sqlite3 as database backends. The
>  Sqlite3 backend, LDAP authentication and Sieve filtering are included
>  in the base package.
>  .
>  Supported client protocols are: POP3, IMAP4, LMTP, MANAGESIEVE.

The canonical upstream capitalisation appears to be "DBMail" (and
"ManageSieve").

I don't believe it allows users to be stored in a database.  Maybe
you mean something like:

   DBMail is a collection of programs that allow the use of a relational
   database to store both email messages and user account data.

>  .
>  It supports MySQL, PostgreSQL and Sqlite3 as database backends. The
>  Sqlite3 backend, LDAP authentication and Sieve filtering are included
>  in the base package.
>  .
>  Supported client protocols are: POP3, IMAP4, LMTP, MANAGESIEVE.

This is okay, though you might consider dividing it into a paragraph
about DBMail in general and a paragraph about dbmail-base in
particular (which varies for the other two packages):

   DBMail is a collection of programs that allow the use of a relational
   database to store both email messages and user account data. It
   supports Sieve filtering, and the client protocols POP3, IMAP4, LMTP,
   and ManageSieve.
   .
   This package supports LDAP authentication, with Sqlite3 as the
   database backend; see dbmail-pgsql and -mysql for alternatives.

Then:
   DBMail is [...]
   .
   This package provides a module for adding {Postgre,My}SQL support.