Use of articles

Hi,

recently i reviewed a translation on debian-l10n-german.
# German SquirrelMail Compatibility Plugin Translation File
#, php-format
msgid "The file %s is missing from plugin %s."
msgstr "Die Datei %s fehlt der Erweiterung %s."
(translated) I'm afraid the article is missing in the Englisch text.

msgid "The file %s is missing from the plugin %s."
                                  ^^^
(translated) IMHO no article is missing - it is often omitted in English texts.
I suggest asking a native speaker before filing a bug report.
To me (i'm German) the example sounds very strange without an article.
Until now i often considered  missing articles as mistakes.

I would be grateful for an explanation regarding the correct use (and
omission) of articles.

Cheers
  Martin