Re: Driver injection disk debconf templates in D-I

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 11:15:20PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):
> > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 09:43:03AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > > I committed the changes with two extra changes:

> > > 1) the sublevel has be changed to 3. There is no reason to enforce the
> > > translation of this template that hard (sublevels 1 and 2 being
> > > complete is theoretically mandatory).

> > > I replaced "OEM" by "hardware" in an attempt to unjargonize.

> > And thereby losing information.

> Well, then define OEM in this context....This acronym is used  in each
> and every possible situation and nearly means nothing nowadays.

Er, no.  The OEM is the "original manufacturer" of the equipment.  There's
nothing ambiguous or diluted about this.  There are many different OEMs, and
in different contexts the term will be used to refer to different equipment,
but the term is used quite consistently and accurately across the industry.

> So ? I dont' think we lose any information by being more explicit.

You're not being more explicit, you're being *less* explicit.  An "OEM
driver injection disk" explicitly refers to a driver injection disk provided
by the OEM.  A "hardware driver injection disk" could refer to a driver disk
provided by anyone, with no hint to the user as to where they should find
this or when to give up looking.  If you tell the user, "this refers to
disks provided by your OEM", then they know where to look for such a disk
and when to conclude that no such disk exists for their use.  If you just
let them think that it's a generic hardware driver disk, who knows where
they'll look for it (in fact, many of them will probably look around on the
Debian website trying to find these driver disks, thinking they're something
extra we're supposed to provide).  If this udeb only handles the OEM-bundled
style of driver disks, we should let users know this so they don't wind up
on a fruitless search for something that doesn't exist.