Re: Request for review change in user-setup template

Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Luk Claes (luk@debian.org):
>> + Choosing an empty root password is not allowed. If you choose an empty
>> + password, then a user account will be created and given the power to
>> + become root using the 'sudo' command.
>
> Hmmm, the templates says that using an empty password is not allowed
> and *then* that choosing one will switch to sudo mode. That can be
> confusing.
>
> Also, the templates gives the feeling that the user account will be
> created *only* when choosing an empty password, which is of course not
> true..:-)

It certainly had me fooled - I had no idea it didn't mean what it
said.  And I'm still not clear whether it means plain sudoing
privileges or NOPASSWD sudoing privileges...

> I'd suggest:
>
> "If the password is left empty, the unprivileged account that is
> created in next steps will be granted with the power to become root
> using the "sudo" command."

The account sounds fairly privileged to me, and "is created in next
steps" needs work.  My best guess so far:

 Setting an empty root password is not allowed. If you specify an empty
 password, the system's initial user account will be given the power to
 become root using the 'sudo' command[ without a password].