Re: Sentence in DSA 1479 proper English?

Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> ADLAB discovered a possible memory overrun in the ISDN subsystem that
> may permit a local user to overwrite kernel memory leading by issuing
> ioctls with unterminated data.
>
> Is "may permit [someone] leading by issuing [something]" proper
> English? If so, could you explain in different words what "to lead by"
> means (I haven't found it in my dictionaries).

The English is wrong: s/leading //

  ADLAB discovered a possible memory overrun in the ISDN subsystem that
  may permit a local user to overwrite kernel memory by issuing
  ioctls with unterminated data.

Compare "http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-6151";,
which describes it like this:

  The isdn_ioctl function in isdn_common.c in Linux kernel 2.6.23
  allows local users to cause a denial of service via a crafted
  ioctl struct in which iocts is not null terminated, which triggers
  a buffer overflow.