Re: [RFR] templates://root-system/{ttf-root-installer.templates}

Hi all,

Thank you for your comments - I'll look them over and apply them soon.
Thanks.  A few comments in-line below.

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 01:27 +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Your review should be sent as an answer to this mail.
>
> By the way... does anybody know _why_ it's got this slightly
> inconvenient name?  Presumably it's an Object Oriented Toolkit, but
> what does the R stand for?

The name - however unfortunate - was chosen by the main developers (René
Brun and Fons Radermarkers) a long time ago.  I think the intention was
a pun on "the root of everything [in high energy physics]," and "ROOT is
an Object Oriented Toolkit," but many theories has been put forward :-)
If I get the chance next time at CERN I'll ask them :-)

However, the name is just a name.  The fact that there's a general user
that has the name is somewhat accidental - ROOT was originally developed
on Windoze, but one week-end Fons ported to Linux and they continued on
that platform ever since.

> Then in the control file...

Most of the descriptions have been copied more or less verbatim from
various web-sites and README-like files, so poor language reflects
upstreams language.

> (en_US "analyze", "specialized", and so on.)  Then in the next para:

Sigh, American isn't English, but ok ... :-)

> I standardise s/plug-in/plugin/ throughout.

Spell checkers does not recognise plugin but does recognise plug-in.

> > Package: libroot-clarens5.18
> [...]
> >  This package contains the Clarens plug-in for ROOT, for use in a GRID
> >  enabled analysis environment.
>
> That's "Grid-enabled", as in the following paragraph.

GRID should be in all-caps - no matter what.

> > Package: libroot-clarens-dev
> [...]
> >  This package contains the Clarens plug-in for ROOT, for use in a GRID
> >  enabled analysis environment.
>
> No it doesn't!  It provides development libraries for that plugin.

Actually, it's the development libraries and headers for the Clarens
_extension_.

> (Throughout, for -dev packages I'm cutting short the technical
> explanations and adding the fact that they're -dev packages.)

OK.

> > Package: root-plugin-minuit2
>
> Minuit, not MINUIT (and "a fitting algorithm", not "an").

It's MINUIT - not Minuit.  It's a proper name and the author chose
MINUIT (Fortran creeps in :-)

> > Package: libroot-roofit5.18
> [...]
> Typo:                                                      ^
>
> Otherwise my only quibble is
> >  RooFit has been developed for the BaBar collaboration, a high energy
> >  physics experiment at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, and is
> >  primarily targeted to the high-energy physicists using the ROOT
> >  analysis environment, but the general nature of the package make it
> >  suitable for adoption in different disciplines as well.
>
> Targeted... on?  At?  On, I think.

Right.

> >  .
> >  To generate random numbers the user must supply some information
> >  about the desired distribution, especially a C-function that computes
>
> (Might that "especially" be a false friend?  If so I'm not sure what
> would be more appropriate.)

I believe "especially" is a French false-friend and it should be
"specifically"

> >  the density and - depending on the chosen methods - some additional
> >  information (like the borders of the domain, the mode, the derivative
> >  of the density ...). After a user has given this information an
> >  init-program computes all tables and constants necessary for the
> >  random variate generation. The sample program can then generate
> >  variates from the desired distribution.
>
> That bit in parentheses needs a bit of tidying.

Could be removed.

> > Package: root-plugin-xproof
>
> Ditto.  (Er, should "PROOF environment" be "XPROOF environment" this
> time?)

No. The "X" is for extended in the sense of (X)RootD.  The environment
is still PROOF but using XRootD instead of RootD.

> > Package: root-system-rootd
> [...]
> >  This package contains ROOT file server.  rootd is a server for ROOT
>                         ^the
> >  files, serving files over the Internet. Using this daemon, you can
> >  access files on the machine from anywhere on the Internet, using a
> >  transparent interface.
>
> Hey, you can see the end of the file from here.

LOL

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 447
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |