Re: Please help review and announce mini-DebConf Taiwan on www.d.o

Andrew Lee wrote:
>     http://people.debian.org/~ajqlee/0925-icos2009.wml
>
> It would be nice to be reviewed by l10n-english folks before post on
> www.d.o to reduce extra work for other language translators.

Sorry about the slight delay.

| ICOS 2009 International Conference on Open Source 2009 Taipei
| City, Taiwan 2009-09-25 2008-09-27 http://icos.org.tw/zh Andrew
| Lee (李健秋)
|
| This is the annual International Conference on Open Source (ICOS)
| in Taiwan which is organized by the Software Liberty Association
| of Taiwan (SLAT).

What is the "this is" pointing at?  Just say "The annual [...] in
Taiwan is organized by [...]".

|                    ICOS is aiming to bring together international
| FLOSS projects and developers, to share experience, introduce
| projects and get in touch with local developers and users.

If it's a long-term aim, "ICOS aims to".  Or maybe better "Its aim
is to".  It would also clarify the structure of this (assuming I'm
interpreting it correctly) if "to share..." became "so that they can
share..."

| The conference will span 3 days (25th - 27th of September) and
| will be hosted in Taipei City, Taiwan.

Trivial typographical details: low numbers like this are usually
written out in full, as "three"; and ranges are conventionally
written "solid", as "25th-27th".

| The main participants this year include:
| BlackOn, Debian, Elecmos Universal, LinuxPilot, LXDE, Moblin,
| Novell, OneVillage, OpenSolaris, OSSAC, PhET, Sahana, Skolelnux,
| SLAT, SPI, Sun Microsystems Inc., Toby Churchill Ltd, xPUD.

This "include: X, Y, Z" format might be convenient for editing but
it's unnatural English.  Say "includes X, Y, and Z".  Oh, and a
typo: Skolelinux.
            ^
| The "Software Liberty Association of Taiwan" (SLAT) is featuring a
| mini-DebConf during ICOS 2009 (International Conference on
| Open Source in Taipei).

No need to repeat the acronym-expansions.

| The Debian project will have the first mini-DebConf in Taiwan
| during ICOS on Saturday and Sunday, 26-27th September.

This seems repetitive.  I'd suggest reorganising slightly: move the
dates into the previous sentence and say "This is the Debian
project's first mini-DebConf in Taiwan".

| See details on the event organize page.

"Event organization page".

?

|  • Early event announcement
|  • Software Liberty Association of Taiwan
|  • International Conference on Open Source
|  • Event organize page

Again, "Event organization page"

So that would be:

  ICOS 2009 International Conference on Open Source 2009 Taipei
  City, Taiwan 2009-09-25 2008-09-27 http://icos.org.tw/zh Andrew
  Lee (李健秋)

  The annual International Conference on Open Source (ICOS) in Taiwan
  is organized by the Software Liberty Association of Taiwan (SLAT).
  Its aim is to bring together international FLOSS projects and
  developers, so that they can share experience, introduce projects
  and get in touch with local developers and users.

  The conference will span three days (25th-27th of September) and
  will be hosted in Taipei City, Taiwan.
  The main participants this year include BlackOn, Debian, Elecmos
  Universal, LinuxPilot, LXDE, Moblin, Novell, OneVillage,
  OpenSolaris, OSSAC, PhET, Sahana, Skolelinux, SLAT, SPI, Sun
  Microsystems Inc., Toby Churchill Ltd, and xPUD.

  The SLAT is featuring a mini-DebConf during ICOS 2009, on Saturday
  and Sunday, 26th-27th September. This is the Debian project's first
  mini-DebConf in Taiwan. See details on the event organization page.

   • Early event announcement
   • Software Liberty Association of Taiwan
   • International Conference on Open Source
   • Event organization page

--
JBR
Never work between meals - Norfolk proverb