Re: [ITR] templates://apt-cacher-ng/{apt-cacher-ng.templates}

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 11:30:08PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> > So you specifically mean origins?  This is gradually getting
>
> Why do you mean by saying "origin"?
>
> > clearer.  Should the line about "various distributions" have said
> > something like this?
> >
> >       single client system. To configure it, a set of URL remappings
> >       needs to be set up for each APT origin.
>
> Ugh, this confuses even me. What is an "APT origin"? Something you got
> APT from?

I think 'APT repository' would be clearest here, yes? Although, it
sounds like a repository from which one installs APT, so maybe 'for each
repository APT will use', possibly substituting 'APT-Cacher NG' for 'APT'.

> "Reverted" sounds evil, I just forgot to merge it. Rereading mine
> version, I don't like it now. I don't like yours either, we don't cache
> "the source". IMHO the one from approx sounds better:

> Making it more generic may make more sense... I cannot decide.

'system distribution package files' feels unwieldy to me; I suggest
something like:

> Here is the version I was talking about plus changed short description:

>  Apt-Cacher NG is a caching proxy for download of packages from Debian-style
>  software repositories and may also support other package types.
>  .
>  The main principle is a central machine which hosts the proxy for a local
>  network, and clients configure their APT setup to download through it.
>  Apt-Cacher NG keeps a copy of all useful data that passes through it, and when
>  a similar request is made, the cached copy of the data is delivered without
>  being re-downloaded.
>  .
>  Apt-Cacher NG has been designed from scratch as a replacement for
>  apt-cacher, but with a focus on maximizing throughput with low system
>  resource requirements. It can also be used as replacement for apt-proxy and
>  approx with no need to modify clients' sources.list files.
>
> And the changed templates file:
>
> __Choices: Set up once, Set up now and update later, No automated setup
> _Default: Set up once
>  Apt-cacher-ng can download packages from remote sites different from the ones

Keeping the case consistent here would be nice; using the software's
name instead of the package name gets nearly around the initial
upper-case letter:

   Apt-Cacher NG can download..

Then the language gets a little jumbled. I suggest:

   Apt-Cacher NG can download packages from repositories other than those
   requested by the clients. This enables quicker initial configuration of
   clients, and one place to change mirrors later.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

1024D: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51