Re: Request for review (was: Re: wicd 1.6.0-2~pre1: Please translate debconf PO for the package wicd)

David Paleino wrote:
> please CC me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to debian-l10n-english.

> Template: wicd/users
> Type: multiselect
> Choices: ${users}
>  Users that are allowed to run the wicd clients need to be added to the
>  `netdev' group. These will be able to run the clients.

   Users who should be able to run wicd clients need to be added to
   the group "netdev".

(If you refer to the netdev group, you're using its name as if the
reader is expected to recognise it; if you refer to the group
"netdev", you're telling them its name.  The last sentence adds
nothing.)

> Package: wicd
[...]
>  Wicd is an open source wired and wireless network manager which
>  aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a
>  wide variety of settings.

"Wired and wireless network manager" is good, but don't repeat it.
(A pity it's ended up with an inappropriate name...)

"Open source" is redundant in a Debian package description.

It's not obvious what it is that's being described as having "a wide
variety of settings" - the "simple interface" or the network?

>  .
>  Some of Wicd's features include:
>  .
>   1. No GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), so it is
>      easy to use in Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.
>   2. Ability to connect to wired and wireless networks
>   3. Profiles for each wireless network and wired network
>   4. Many encryption schemes, some of which include WEP/WPA/WPA2 (and
>      you can add your own)
>   5. Remains compatible with wireless-tools
>   6. Tray icon showing network activity and signal strength

I'd suggest something more like this:

   Wicd is a general-purpose network configuration server which aims to
   provide a simple but flexible interface for connecting to networks.
   Its features include:
    * ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and
      wireless networks;
    * support for many encryption schemes, including WEP, WPA, WPA2, and
      custom schemes;
    * wireless-tools compatibility;
    * tray icon showing network activity and signal strength;
    * lack of GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), making
      it easy to use in Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.