Re: Request for review of a new package's description

Francois Marier <francois@debian.org> writes:

> I'd like your comments on the following package description for
> pdfresurrect:

Thanks for making use of Debian's localisation resources.

>  PDFResurrect is a tool aimed at analyzing PDF documents.

I would make this more direct:

    PDFResurrect is a tool for analyzing PDF documents.

This statement also seems to exclude the manipulation functions
mentioned later in the description, and doesn't make clear that the
focus is the history of revisions to a document. So perhaps this would
be better:

    PDFRessurect is a tool for analyzing and manipulating revisions to
    PDF documents.

>  The PDF format allows for previous document changes to be retained in
>  a more recent version of the document, thereby creating a running
>  history of changes for the document.

Perhaps clearer as:

    The PDF format allows for previous changes to be retained in a
    revised version of the document, thereby keeping a running history
    of revisions to the document.

>  This tool attempts to extract all previous versions while also
>  producing a summary of changes between versions.

I prefer “revision” for this specific usage (and to keep it consistent
with the previous suggestions).

    This tool extracts all previous revisions while also producing a
    summary of changes between revisions.

>  This tool can also "scrub" or write data over the original instances
>  of PDF objects that have been modified or deleted, in an effort to
>  disguise information from previous versions that might not be
>  intended for anyone else to read.

This is fine as is.

>  .
>  More information can be found in this paper:
>    http://www.757labs.com/projects/pdfresurrect/pdfresurrect_paper.pdf

Perhaps not suited for the package description, but better in the README
for the package?

--
 \      “If I haven't seen as far as others, it is because giants were |
  `\                           standing on my shoulders.” —Hal Abelson |