Re: Please proofread beep debconf template

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >    Since beep needs access to the speaker hardware, normal users will not be
> >    able to use it unless the setuid bit is set. There are three options for its
> >    permissions:
> >    -rwsr-xr-x root:audio = setuid root for all users
> >    -rwsr-xr-- root:audio = setuid root for members of the group "audio"
> >    -rwxr-xr-x root:audio = non-setuid, and unusable for normal users
[...]
>  Hmm, that goes back to something more technical which I wanted to avoid
> to go to. It shouldn't be limited to people who are well aware of the
> terms yet - and especially your suggestion will render badly, it won't
> be preformated in the output like you would like it.

The formatting's fixed in the "second thoughts" version, but what I
was trying to do by giving the actual ls-style permission strings
involved was make it (more detailed, but) _less_ technical.  Oh
well...

>  Hope you don't take it in the bad, but this is not the direction I
> would like to go with the question. And like said, I wouldn't even know
> currently how to format that, even if I would think going that direction
> would be something to consider.

Attempting to simplify it:

   Since beep needs access to the speaker hardware, normal users will not
   be able to use it unless special permission settings are used. The
   options are:
    - let all users run beep with root privileges;
    - let members of group "audio" run beep with root privileges;
    - limit use of beep to root.
   If you want to avoid the potential security risk of a setuid
   executable, or if you aren't sure what that means, choose the third
   option.

Any closer?  (Anybody else want a try?)