Re: "metapackage", "meta package" or "meta-package"

On Friday 04 April 2008 06:41, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):
> > Since it's unlikely to get into dictionaries, the only guide to
> > what's "correct" is the majority opinion: "metapackage".
> >
> > Of course, I say that because I agree with the consensus here, but I
> > can also offer a supporting argument if you'd prefer.
> >
> >  * Most coinages in English with "meta" seem to be written solid:
> > 	"metadata", "metafiction", "metamathematics", and so on.
> >  * "Meta-" also occurs, sometimes to avoid an awkward string of
> > 	vowel letters ("meta-argument"), sometimes as IUPAC-standard
> > 	chemical terminology ("meta-tyrosine").
> >  * "Meta" as a freestanding word can be used as an adjective, with a
> > 	slightly different sense ("this conversation is far too
> > 	meta"), so that's worth avoiding.
>
> From Justin's arguments, it seems that English uses about the same
> rule than French with such latin prepositions: write them solid unless
> the juxtaposition introduces a diphtongue (en?):

> I would then go for "metapackage".

Thanks for your answers.

> Such check could even be added to recenly added Lintian check about
> some common incorrect spelling (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)

I've thought about this too before asking on debian-l10n-english and if no
one else disagrees with "metapackage" as the "correct" spelling I'll file a
wishlist bug on Lintian asking for such a check.

Cheers,
--
Frank S. Thomas <fst@debian.org>           PGP public key ID: 0xDC426429
Debian Developer                            finger fst/key@db.debian.org