Re: [RFR] templates://egroupware/{egroupware-core.templates}

Quoting Peter Eisentraut (petere@debian.org):
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > As there is quite some discrepancy in Debian texts, we've chosen to
> > suggest removing the double spaces in debconf templates and packages
> > descriptions.
>
> Sorry, I don't agree with that choice.  Please provide documentation.  I'll
> also say that the policy document is rendered in plain text form using double
> spaces.  So please create a global consensus or authorative decision first.

No. We will just revert the changes and leave that typographical
nonsense.. I have no intent to argue.

From Wikipedia:

Many descriptivists[5] support the notion that a single space after a
full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm
in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the
MLA, APA[6], and The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many
prescriptivists,[5] meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces
on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than
separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides
are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly
suggests that most people accept the single space in modern
word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch
inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many
computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need
for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this
does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most
widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that
only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation
marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

[5] ^ a b A descriptivist is a person who describes how language is used in practice. A prescriptivist, in contrast, is a person who makes recommendations for rules of language use.

[6] ^ "5.11 Spacing and Punctuation Space once after all punctuation as follows: after commas, colons, and semicolons; after punctuation marks at the end of sentences; after periods that separate parts of a reference citation; and after the periods of the initials in personal names." Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 5th edition, 2001.

[7] ^ "6.11 Space between sentences In typeset matter, one space, not two (in other words, a regular word space), follows any mark of punctuation that ends a sentence, whether a period, a colon, a question mark, an exclamation point, or closing quotation marks." The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, 2003.

[8] ^ "Use one space (not two) after these punctuation marks [sc. period, question mark, exclamation point, or colon], as the practice of using two spaces is just another holdover from using a typewriter." Schriver, Karen A, Dynamics in Document Design, Wiley, NY, 1997, p. 502; "In typewritten (as distinct from typeset) material, it was customary to place two spaces after a colon, semicolon, full stop or other sentence closing punctuation. Programs for word processing and desktop publishing offer more sophisticated, variable spacing, so this practice of double spacing is now avoided because it can create distracting gaps on a page." AGPS Style Manual, 2002, 6th edition, p. 117.
^ A web search produces a few sources that express this. Like http://juicystudio.com/article/zoom-low-vision.php

But I won't argue with you