Re: [RFR] gsmartcontrol package

Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
>  GSmartControl is a graphical user interface for smartctl , which is a tool for
                                                           ^
Surplus space (looks like a typo rather than an un-en_US-ism).

>  querying and controlling SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting
>  Technology) data on modern hard disk drives. It allows you to inspect the
>  drive's SMART data to determine its health, as well as run various tests on it.
>  .
>  Features:
>  .
>   * Automatically report and highlight any abnormal SMART information.
>   * Ability to enable / disable SMART.
>   * Ability to enable / disable Automatic Offline Data Collection.
>   * Ability to set global and per-drive options for smartctl.
>   * Display drive identity, capabilities, attributes, error and self-test logs.
>   * Perform SMART self-tests.
>   * Ability to load smartctl output as a "virtual" device, which acts just like
>     a real (read-only) device.

Some of these are verb phrases describing what gsmartcontrol can do
("report" and "display" things), others are noun phrases describing
things users can do with it ("ability to set...").  The easiest
thing to standardise on would be a phrasing where each bulletpoint
is something that gsmartcontrol does.

The "Display..." line needs tweaking; if error-'n'-self-test-logs is
one item, there should be an "and" before it.  Oh, and mention the
SMART self-tests (following bulletpoint) before talking about their
logs.

I'm not sure I'm understanding that last one correctly, but if so
I'd understand it more easily as phrased below:

    * automatically reports and highlights any anomalies;
    * allows enabling/disabling Automatic Offline Data Collection;
    * allows enabling/disabling SMART itself;
    * supports configuration of global and per-drive options for smartctl;
    * performs SMART self-tests;
    * displays drive IDs, capabilities, attributes, and self-test/error logs;
    * can read in smartctl data from a saved file, interpreting it as a
      read-only virtual device.