Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:56:21AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Well, then I suggest "End of shell process."

Done.

> > > The 'terminal' plugin, which is required to open a shell, is not
> > > available. Please load it from the main menu in 'Loading additional
> > > components'.
> >
> > There is no need to load it manually: it will be automatically retrieved
> > by the start-shell script, but the source for the udebs must be
> > configured in order to do so.
>

> I don't really understand. You mean that in normal situations, that
> template has no chance to be used? If I'm correct, unless something
> bad happens, there's always a source for udebs when a d-i component
> needs them.

Not necessarily.  If cdebconf-gtk-terminal has not been put on the
initrd, then the package won't be available until anna is configured.

But there is no need to explicitely select the module in anna, as
start-shell does it automatically by using anna-install.

> > > Do we really need to specify this?
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that the "in the installer environment" is really
> > > meaningful for our users. When we run a shell in the text installer,
> > > it's in the installer's environment and we don't specify it.
> >
> > The difference is significant in the rescue-mode context: two different
> > options are offered.  Either the shell is started from the rescued
> > system environment, or it is started within d-i, with the rescued system
> > in /target.
>
> Ah, right. I didn't noticed this was indeed meant for rescue. It makes
> sense for it.
>
> However, please use "Execute a shell in the installer environment" and
> "Execute a shell in ${DEVICE}" as these strings are already used by
> rescue and I don't see any reason to make them different..:-)

I see one: they are not displayed in the same context.  The last string
you mention are in a menu (hence they are "actions").  The template is
displayed as a title, right above the terminal window.  I think the
later ought to be more a description of the current status.

(But please excuse my english here… and I already have a hard time using
meta-language in french.)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism