Re: citadel templates

Michael Meskes wrote:
> could you please have a look at the attached template file and review
> it? The citadel package has been worked on for about 3 years no without
> a native speaker having a look at the templates. I'd guess it's about
> time now. :-)

Glad to.

> Template: citadel/ServerIPAddress
[...]

I normally recommend s/IP/IP address/.  "Listen address" would work
too.

>  Specify the IP address on which your server will run. If you
>  specify 0.0.0.0, Citadel will listen on all addresses.
>  You can usually skip this unless you are running multiple
>  instances of Citadel on the same computer.

Since you might be sysadmin for somebody else's server, some of
these second-persons may be inappropriate.  And then fixing that I
find myself reorganising the second half into a separate paragraph:

   Please specify the IP address on which the server will run. If you
   accept 0.0.0.0, Citadel will listen on all addresses.
   .
   This can usually be left to the default unless multiple instances
   of Citadel are running on the same computer.

I could be pedantic and say that servers _listen_ on ports rather
than _run_ on them, but it's not as if there's any risk of ambiguity.

> Template: citadel/LoginType
[...]
>  Specify the way authentication is done, either host based or Citadel internal.
>  Host based authentication could be /etc/passwd or an LDAP directory.
>  WARNING: do not change this setting once your system is installed.
>  Answer "no" unless you completely understand this option.

No!

On first reading it's not obvious why /etc/passwd is "external", or
which option I'd get if I accepted the default.  Re-reading, I'm
still not entirely sure, but I think it's saying something I'd have
expressed as follows.

   Please choose the user authentication mode. By default Citadel will
   use its own internal user accounts database.  If you accept this
   option, Citadel users will have accounts on the host system,
   authenticated via /etc/passwd (or LDAP).
   .
   Do not accept this option unless you are sure it is required, since
   changing back requires a full reinstall of Citadel.

> Template: citadel/Administrator
> Type: string
> Default: Administrator
>  Enter the name of the Citadel administrator (which is probably
>  you). When an account is created with this name, it will
>  automatically be given administrator-level access.

This invites confusion between names, system usernames and citadel
accounts.  Why not just:

   Enter the name of the Citadel user account that should be granted
   administrative privileges (once created).

The template below seems to imply that the administrator account
will already have been created before the end of citadel's
installation process, in which case you can leave out "(once
created)".

> Template: citadel/Installnote
> Type: note
>  For post configuring your Citadel Server, use citadel-webcit with your
>  browser, log in as the user you specified as the Administrator, and
>  review the Points under the Administration menu. If you have further
>  questions review www.citadel.org, especially the FAQ and Documentation
>  section.

I'm not sure what an ux is, or what "use citadel-webcit with your
browser" means, or what "review the Points" means - are those just
stray German caps?  And I suspect Christian will tell you this is
debconf abuse and belongs in a README.  But fixing up the English as
far as possible:

   To complete the configuration process, point [your web browser?] at
   $SOME_SORT_OF_URL, log in as the Administrator, and review the Points
   on the Administration menu. If you have any further questions, see the
   FAQ and documentation at http://www.citadel.org.

(The package descriptions also need work, mostly with the DEL key.)