Re: [RFR] templates://redhat-cluster/{cman.templates}

Frederik Schueler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 07:32:20AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
>> I think that ALL packages are missing a common paragraph describing
>> *what* Redhat cluster suite is..... Anyone feeling like proposing one?
>
> RHCS is a cluster management infrastructure, which allows to build
> highly available N-node clusters with services and IP takeover on top
> of shared FC/iSCSI storage devices.
>
> something like that?

Or:
  RHCS is a cluster management infrastructure, for building
  high-availability N-node clusters with service and IP takeover on
  top of shared FC/iSCSI storage devices.

I'd also suggest s/N-node/multi-node/ (I assume it's always N>1!)
and s/takeover/failover/, but that may be me missing technical
subtleties.  Given that this is Red Hat we could throw in an
"enterprise grade" at the start.

"FC" should perhaps be "Fibre Channel", given the existence of
Fedora Core.  The redhat.com hardware requirements say that RHCS can
also use Multi-Initiator Serial Attached SCSI (MI SAS, a new one on
me).  Could we get away with replacing "FC/iSCSI storage devices"
with something more generic like "Storage Area Network hardware"?

>> + state transitions. Another part of CMAN is a service manager that
>> + handles service groups.
>
> rgmanager handles service groups, not cman.

So the (lib)cman boilerplate should be just:

   CMAN is a symmetric general-purpose cluster manager. It provides a
   connection manager that handles cluster membership management,
   messaging among the cluster nodes, event notification, quorum and
   state transitions.

Can you confirm that it "handles [...] quorum", whatever that is?

At present rgmanager has:

   Resource Group Manager provides high availability of critical server
   applications in the event of planned or unplanned system downtime.

Would that be improved by a transplanted reference to service groups?

(Holding off on amended patches for now)